The US Hamster Wheel

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The US Hamster Wheel

#7921 Post by boing » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:21 pm

Wikipaedia;
Philadelphia, colloquially Philly, is the largest city in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania
Since Pennsylvania is presently considered to be "the" critical swing state in the elections this event is the last thing that the Democrats need, rioting and looting over perfectly justified police actions is going to make a large proportion of politically moderate voters think very hard.

There are basically two major cities in Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, with the Philadelphia area being the most populous, a voter swing in Philadelphia basically decides the state's political position.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7922 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:57 pm

A cop shooting a black dude, who cannot shoot back, on the street is a rather sensitive matter right now. Dontcha think?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7923 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Trump doubles down on attempts to kill off his voter base!
Hundreds stranded in the cold waiting for buses in chaotic post-Trump rally scene

~X( [-X :-q L-) #-o
https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/28/politics ... index.html

Hundreds stranded in the cold waiting for buses in chaotic post-Trump rally scene
CNN Digital Expansion 2017
By Jeff Zeleny, CNN

Updated 12:15 PM ET, Wed October 28, 2020
Hundreds stranded in cold after Trump rally in Nebraska

Omaha, Nebraska (CNN)When President Donald Trump left Omaha on Tuesday, thousands watched and cheered in the frigid air as Air Force One took off into the night sky. But for these loyal supporters, their experience at the Trump rally was far from over.

For the next several hours, hundreds and hundreds of people who attended the rally were stranded, as a chaotic scene unfolded on dark roads on a remote stretch near the Omaha airport. They waited for buses that didn't arrive, unable to reach the site because of a clogged two-lane road.

Many people started walking to their cars, parked three or four miles away, which blocked the roads even further. Several medics were seen by CNN giving attention to people in the bone-chilling evening air. The temperature was right at freezing, but wind chills were far lower.
Earlier in the night, the President commented on the weather.
"I mean, I'm standing here freezing. I ask you one little favor: get the hell out and vote," Trump said to cheers from the crowd. "The great red wave. At least you're down there with each other. I'm all up here and that wind is blowing."

The Trump campaign did not immediately respond to a CNN request for comment.
After the rally, police officers tried to control the scene, but struggled to bring order to the pandemonium. There were no campaign advance teams in sight. One local advance volunteer said they were given no instructions how to get supporters back onto the buses.
"We need at least 30 more buses," an Omaha police officer said, shaking his head.
For months, the Trump campaign has utilized the practice of busing supporters from parking lots to the rally sites as a way to accommodate the large crowds. His events have been held in locations such as small airports that don't normally draw rally sized crowds and therefore don't have onsite parking available to support the crush of people and crowds.
That has created a scenario where thousands of people are left to wait for hours after the event ends for buses to shuttle them back to their cars. At an event in Gastonia, North Carolina, last Wednesday hundreds of supporters were forced to make the decision to either wait for the bus or walk several miles down a busy road, without sidewalks, to their parking lots.
Even those who make it on a bus, only do so after a long wait packed in with hundreds of other people -- most not wearing a mask -- until they board the bus where every single seat is taken and no social distancing is practiced.
It's unlikely that any of the rally-goers would change their votes since they count as some of the most committed supporters. But it's hardly the kind of local news you want to generate -- especially in Nebraska, which is experiencing a fourth-straight week of record Covid cases.

PP

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#7924 Post by Dushan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:57 pm
A cop shooting a black dude, who cannot shoot back, on the street is a rather sensitive matter right now. Dontcha think?
Did you miss this part?
man with a knife is threatening police, they take him out
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#7925 Post by Dushan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:42 pm

PP, anyone other than the CNN dude, complain?
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7926 Post by barkingmad » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:54 pm

Now that the sound of gunfire amongst our more emotional members has faded to the OK Corral at the end of the street and the few who wish to engage in reasonable discussion have parked their Colt .45s and Winchester repeaters with the duty Moll at our saloon bar entrance, I invite you to take time out to pour a Jack Daniels, a G&T or a Scotch or 3 and have a listen to this one, which shows a rather alarming aspect of a Biden win.

For those who don't know (of) him, B O'Neill is Irish born & bred and a former lefty who eventually saw the darkness and now writes and talks with a Right anti-PC and anti-'woke' flavour.

I'm not plugging for either of the POTUS candidates but certainly this discussion informed me above and beyond the standard horse manure doled out by MSM. I await feedback from our excited cousins west of 30W if they listen and have comments;

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about"! :O3

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7927 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:56 pm

Dushan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:35 pm
Undried Plum wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:57 pm
Did you miss this part?
man with a knife is threatening police, they take him out
Is the death penalty for being in possession of a knife now carried out without the niceties of a trial by jury and all that old-fashioned stuff?

Has the rusty brillo-pad guy won already?

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7928 Post by prospector » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 pm

" Is the death penalty for being in possession of a knife now carried out without the niceties of a trial by jury and all that old-fashioned stuff?"

No it is not. Having an obviously mentally deranged individual in possession and theatening to kill approaching you puts a different spin on the situation would you not say?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#7929 Post by Dushan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:53 pm

Prospector, I forgot to bold and highlight the words “threatening police” so the woke crowd can be excused for not seeing them.

boing
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7930 Post by boing » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:59 pm

UP

You as much as anyone here should be aware of the capabilities of a knife. It was established many years ago that a knife wielding assailant can move 21 feet in the time it takes a police officer to draw and fire his pistol. It is an accepted guidance, taught to police officers and adopted by others, that a person who is attacked by a knife armed opponent within 21 feet is justified in shooting to kill because he/she is protecting their own life. There is no distinction between a nutty or merely criminal assailant since, of course, there is no time to decide this and the end result would be no different.

This implies that you are actually under attack and does not allow you to shoot someone simply because they are standing 21 feet away with a knife. However, an exception could be made if the shooter truly believed that if the knife holder was not stopped they would move off and attack other people. Gets tricky here.

Interestingly, since the guidance was created in the old days of massively long police cars (and american cars in general) the length of a police car was accepted as the standard for 21 feet.

the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7931 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:22 pm

For the police to shoot and kill a black fella right now is a seriously political event.

Nae doot, ra polisman knew ferzackerly wot he wuz doin.

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7932 Post by prospector » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:33 am

Funny how it creates such a problem in America, I hear tell there is something like 58 murders a day in South Africa. And black on black in Chicago would appear to be acceptable.

How many black policepersons shoot white people? or are white people too docile?? when confronted with an armed policeperson they do as requested, surely that would be the intelligent option? How many white policepersons shoot white people, if the policepersons are as bad as some of the press try to paint them then surely they would be using white people for target practice as well as black??

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7933 Post by Undried Plum » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:16 am

Black black white white white.
How racist can you get?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7934 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:25 am

Undried Plum wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:16 am
Black black white white white.
How racist can you get?
More stripes than a zebra and nowhere near as cute! ;)))

Want a bit of casual bigotry, drop by the US Hamster Wheel.
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

prospector
Capt
Capt

#7935 Post by prospector » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:47 am

"How racist can you get?"

As racist as the press who headline "White cop shoots black man". Surely the ethnicity of who shoots who is irrelevant? Just tell us the reason for the shooting, and enough detail as to ascertain if it was justified.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7936 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:48 am

Once again, serious thread drift is evident.

Looking back at the OP, I was under the impression this thread was for POTUS issues and the ‘Chaos in USA’ thread was started to air opinions on firearms and street violence generally.

I am as guilty as others here of temporary drift but I’m finding it difficult, in my dotage, to try to keep track of the 2 distinct topics in these 2 threads.

Can we please return to some form of discipline and good order and confine the shades of police shooters and their victims to either the “Chaos” thread or to “BLM Bollocks” thread and keep “Hamster Wheel” for the politics surrounding the most exciting beauty pageant of 2020? ~X(

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7937 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:34 am

BM wrote:I am as guilty as others here of temporary drift but I’m finding it difficult, in my dotage, to try to keep track of the 2 distinct topics in these 2 threads.
I say, old chap, I feel your pain. However, you could lessen your struggles by contributing to less than at least 6 separate threads on C19.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7938 Post by barkingmad » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:28 pm

Boac wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:34 am
BM wrote:I am as guilty as others here of temporary drift but I’m finding it difficult, in my dotage, to try to keep track of the 2 distinct topics in these 2 threads.
I say, old chap, I feel your pain. However, you could lessen your struggles by contributing to less than at least 6 separate threads on C19.
Because I'm obviously suffering mental confusion, contributing to six C19 threads but only able to count up to three in this forum?!
And now back to our US Elections correspondent, standing with the White House in the background. Halloh-oh, do we have a line to our Washington reporter? :-w

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7939 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:00 pm

To help with your counting (have you tried taking your socks off NB not pantsoff)? Here are the 'at least' 6 7 threads which you have wandered into C19 *NB Split into 3 posts due to forum restrictions):
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5307&p=259979#p259979
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=4694&p=259925#p259925
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=5399&p=259881#p259881