Arigatou gozaimasu

Aviation related only
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Arigatou gozaimasu

#21 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu May 07, 2020 7:39 pm

Same seems to be true of Native Americans.

PP

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#22 Post by tango15 » Thu May 07, 2020 8:40 pm

...and native Australians I have been told, though I have no personal experience of this.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#23 Post by reddo » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:25 pm

They lack the quantity of alcohol dehydrogenase that westerners have. ;)

Love these stories of Japan. We had an amazing holiday there about 8 years ago.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#24 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:42 am

reddo wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:25 pm
They lack the quantity of alcohol dehydrogenase that westerners have. ;)

Love these stories of Japan. We had an amazing holiday there about 8 years ago.
Bloody hell Mam I had to look that one up. Well so do the Africans then. Certainly here.Two beers and they are flat on their backs. We only have one local beer here; St louis it is like gnat's piss. They can't drink anything stronger.

OK all you guys are saying what a great people the Japs are. So, when are they going to apologise for their treatment of the British Far Eastern Prisoners of War? They are all uncivilised arrogant bastards. Mrs Ex-Ascot met many who used to stay at RAF hospitals for a few days for an annual check up. They were wrecks.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#25 Post by ian16th » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:11 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:42 am
Two beers and they are flat on their backs.
A double edged sword!

Think of all the money I'd have saved if I'd never had more than 2 pints in a night?

Then think of all the fun I'd have missed if I'd been unconscious for most of those nights :YMPARTY:
Cynicism improves with age

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#26 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:22 am

Ian you must have seen it. Two beers and they are lying on the ground asleep. An hour later they have recovered and start again. Probably different down there but never seen any violence in a local bar here and we used to frequent them often. Usually the only reflectives.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#27 Post by ian16th » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:20 pm

Ex-Ascot wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:22 am
Ian you must have seen it. Two beers and they are lying on the ground asleep. An hour later they have recovered and start again. Probably different down there but never seen any violence in a local bar here and we used to frequent them often. Usually the only reflectives.
Seen plenty of them recumbent and unconscious, but didn't ask how many they'd supped!
Cynicism improves with age

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#28 Post by tango15 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:57 pm

Smeagol wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:19 pm
I am no expert in genetics, but I was once told that Asians (and Japanese particularly) are genetically less able to deal with alcohol than Europeans. I worked for a Japanese oil company for 3 years and my, totally unscientific, research at events where considerable quantities of alcohol were consumed would seem to confirm this.
Yes, I would confirm that assertion, Smeagol. I've seen then become child-like in various parts of the world after consuming the falling-down water.

My funniest recollection was once having to deal with a Japanese working in Vladivostok by phone from Moscow. Such are the time spans in Russia that I had to get up quite early in the morning in order to speak to him in the late afternoon. I used to try to have him pronounce Vladivostok as often as possible, which he never managed to do successfully - it used to make the rest of my day! :))