Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread IV

#26721 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:40 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:35 pm
As far as Radio Caroline is concerned, I suggest you read the official history:

http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#history/history.html

The present ship: http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#ross_revenge.html

Radio Caroline North History: http://www.radiocaroline.co.uk/#manx_info.html
Looks more complex than the history of the Borgia's... but interesting, so I shall attend! ;)))

As your "PRESENT" link says, the boat moored on the Blackwater estuary is the MV Ross Revenge, sporting a light when I last saw it.

What I meant by the Borgia like complexity...
At this time it was also decided to settle the matter of ownership, as while no approaches had been made between 1991 to 2014 there was a possibility that someone with a legitimate claim to the ship might appear. Messrs Andrew Jackson, marine lawyers were hired and over three years they researched the matter knowing that with Radio Caroline having been a clandestine operation, everything had deliberately been cloaked in mystery. It was eventually shown that no trace now existed of the overseas organisations that may once have owned and operated the ship at sea, while the present volunteers had expended around £400,000 in the last 26 years. At the Admiralty Court, sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice, it was ruled that the vessel had truly been abandoned and ownership was awarded to one Peter Moore, who had overseen both the ship and radio station activities, again as a volunteer, since 1991.
I had not realized there had been a north and south... really interesting. Thank you for posting. Still reading but so interesting that I am looking further for a book with an even more detailed history. Truly a saga!
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26722 Post by tango15 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:07 pm

I had not realized there had been a north and south... really interesting. Thank you for posting. Still reading but so interesting that I am looking further for a book with an even more detailed history. Truly a saga!

The southern-based (and biased) media often forget or maybe didn't even know that there was a ship moored in Ramsey Bay. Their northern land base was an anonymous office in a block in central Liverpool which went under some totally innocuous name, but the mists of time have clouded it. We listened to nothing else, especially on nights when the phones didn't ring so often and you didn't have to keep turning it down! I think it was round about this time that I started to fall out of love with the BBC...

I read the full story a few years ago. A fascinating insight into what you could get away with in those days. Never mind the Wireless Telegraphy thugs, you'd have Border Force, HMRC and the Serious Fraud Office all over that today.

[the Sweeney are about to break into a shop to end a siege. They come to a locked garden gate]
Det. Sgt. George Carter:
[humourously] It's all right, Guv, I've got the key.
[he delivers a hefty kick to the gate and it opens]

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26723 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:20 pm

tango15 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:07 pm

The southern-based (and biased) media often forget or maybe didn't even know that there was a ship moored in Ramsey Bay. Their northern land base was an anonymous office in a block in central Liverpool which went under some totally innocuous name, but the mists of time have clouded it. We listened to nothing else, especially on nights when the phones didn't ring so often and you didn't have to keep turning it down! I think it was round about this time that I started to fall out of love with the BBC...

I read the full story a few years ago. A fascinating insight into what you could get away with in those days. Never mind the Wireless Telegraphy thugs, you'd have Border Force, HMRC and the Serious Fraud Office all over that today.

[the Sweeney are about to break into a shop to end a siege. They come to a locked garden gate]
Det. Sgt. George Carter:
[humourously] It's all right, Guv, I've got the key.
[he delivers a hefty kick to the gate and it opens]
I was aware of radio Caroline back in SA in the day, but the detail and the nuances of the history have eluded me until today, despite the fact that I am big fan of the concept of a good radio station giving the finger to big brother vide. the land based Southern African example which was Capital 604. Like you used to listen to Radio Caroline North, I listened to Capital 604 when it was based in Port St Johns, on the Transkei coast while the South African government did their best to destroy the station.

Anyway, thanks to you good folks, and your anecdotes here, I have just purchased this...

Radio Ca.JPG
Radio Ca.JPG (31.48 KiB) Viewed 397 times
It seems that some really odd bloke, called Cacophonix, alluded to Capital 604, and the incomparable Canadian Bill Mitchell, here, some time back.

https://soundcloud.com/ronandevitt/bill-mitchell

https://www.ops-normal.org/viewtopic.ph ... 72#p163972
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26724 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:42 pm

b751aa35-00-capital-radio-is-still-riding-the-wave-768x492.jpeg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26725 Post by 4mastacker » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:07 pm

Got up early to do the weekly shop and get back in time to watch the Third Test in India - only to find the bloody match is next Saturday. Buggah!!
It's always my fault - SWMBO

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26726 Post by ian16th » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:17 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:57 am
When I flew them, a few RAF Hunters were fitted with ADF - rumour had it was to listen to the cricket score 'cos very very few Hunter pilots ever bothered with radio nav aids =))
Some Hunters were fitted with DME and had aerials fitted inside the engine air intakes.

When I questioned arriving crews at Istres/Orange they had picked up our Eureka at a greater range than most other, lower flying traffic.
Cynicism improves with age

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26727 Post by Woody » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:39 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:07 pm
Got up early to do the weekly shop and get back in time to watch the Third Test in India - only to find the bloody match is next Saturday. Buggah!!
It starts on Wednesday at 0900 GMT , live on C4 :-bd
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26728 Post by Ibbie » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:40 pm

tango 15

You possibly had a DJ from Caroline North, Ric Johns, hitching a lift on board those flights, so he could be resident DJ at the Cavern club in Manchester at weekends and be back on the ship for weekday broadcasting.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26729 Post by tango15 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:05 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:40 pm
tango 15

You possibly had a DJ from Caroline North, Ric Johns, hitching a lift on board those flights, so he could be resident DJ at the Cavern club in Manchester at weekends and be back on the ship for weekday broadcasting.
Could well be! The morning freighter (dep 0600) was strangely popular with itinerant showbiz type people. I think word must have got around. No pax seats of course, but we were always willing to put them on the jump seat, which most enjoyed. the other big advantage of course, was that it ran seven days a week.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26730 Post by EA01 » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 pm

Good Morning All

Partly cloudy chance of showers 25c looking to get to 30c (at least). Everything feeling surprisingly good after yesterday's 'shovelling' antics.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26731 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:59 pm

EA01 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:57 pm
Good Morning All

Partly cloudy chance of showers 25c looking to get to 30c (at least). Everything feeling surprisingly good after yesterday's 'shovelling' antics.
What the ****? You should be irritating your son! =)) ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26732 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:03 am

Woody wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:39 pm
It starts on Wednesday at 0900 GMT , live on C4 :-bd
Thanks Woody. One got confuzzed.- it's an age thing.

Just been watching a live video of some road crossing in St Petersburg. Those Russian drivers are bloody mental. X_X X_X

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26733 Post by OFSO » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:31 am

The videos of idiot Russian drivers are for some reason utterly engrossing. Have to tear myself away some evenings. Far more interesting are the electrical/electronic tear-downs by Big Clive the Scotsman. His explanations are well worth watching for anyone who has forgotten most of his City and Guilds courses. As for his disassembly of Chinese goods! How on earth do we allow this lethal stuff into the UK?

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26734 Post by Ibbie » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:17 am

Morning all.

Cloudy today 13c presently, showers expected, high of only 15c acheivable.

Was going to take Ed for a walk around the port, but he has some pain in his left rear leg. So we will take it easy.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26735 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:37 am

OFSO, the Russian vids make you never want to drive there.

I have often pondered shooting a cross roads at speed.
A car, 15 feet long and travelling at 88 fps crossing a road 29 feet wide would be clear in 0.5 seconds. A car going the other way at 30 mph would clear the same junction in one second.

The first car would only be on front of the other car (assuming 8 feet wide) for less than 0.25 seconds. The other car would be in front for just 0.5 seconds.

At night, with your lights off, you should see the other car.

Would you dare turn your lights off and go faster?
Is a 6 shot revolver with one round safer?

Just asking for a friend. 😀

PS, on the WEC 45 years ago our USAF instructor said he had done this wearing NVG. I still don't know if I believe him though he did say his wife was terrified.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26736 Post by OFSO » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:03 am

It used to be common in Greece to drive at night just on sidelights and turn the headlights on if you knew, or thought, another vehicle was approaching. This made driving on mountain roads very interesting.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26737 Post by Pontius Navigator » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 am

OFSO, not even side lights in India. If you can, drive as close as possible to the vehicle in front and use his lights.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26738 Post by Wodrick » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:34 am

Morning all,
heavy overcast, just popped out of cloud as it rises, 13˚c, the optimist guesses 18˚c, never.
100% for rain showers, should be with *Ibbie* quite soon.

Going to clean the primary A/C filters the flow seems low, need to do it before SM does the floors.

Ritual lunch and Chicken dinner, I have two legs 1.42€ 0.84 kg nobody buys leg I don't understand. I have always thought it the best bit.
Our family was a perfect chicken family, father and brother were breast men, mother and I were leg people.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26739 Post by 4mastacker » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:46 am

Morning folks. It's murky outside and just not inviting enough to go for a wander.

I expect it to get even gloomier tonight after the Toon have been trounced at Old Trafford. :( Never mind the H&M saga, up in God's Own Country all the talk, or 'taak' as it is pronounced, is about A&B* and kicking their sorry @r$es out of the club.

* A&B = Ashley(owner) & Bruce (coach)

handsfree
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#26740 Post by handsfree » Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:36 am

Happy Sunday everybody. :D

Not too bad a start. Bright with scattered clouds.
Dry at present as the rain is passing to my south.
It wont last though. Drizzle and rain to follow.
10C hopefully rising to 12C. Wind 190 at 7 knots.

Nothing exciting going to happen to me today. Already attached to my machine which is extracting
the evil whisky remnants as I type. Here until about 18:00. Sunday lunch will be tomorrow.