Bell 505 collective lever fracture...

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Bell 505 collective lever fracture...

#1 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:21 pm

Reminds me of our Bell 214ST ditching incident in 1986 when the collective run became disconnected. A bit of a simplistic comparison but embarrassing if flying the 505 single pilot and the lever comes off in your hand during flight! Fortunately this happened during a "full and free" check on the ground.

From FlightGlobal

Operators of Bell 505 helicopters are being ordered urgently to inspect collective sticks on the type for cracks, after an incident in which the assembly fractured on an aircraft during pre-flight checks.

Collective sticks are mounted to the left of each pilot’s seat and control the pitch of the helicopter’s twin main rotor blades to generate lift.

Transport Canada has issued an emergency directive mandating a visual check on the stick as well as an inspection using a fluorescent penetrant to detect possible cracking, in line with a Bell service bulletin.

These inspections must be conducted before any further flights with the type, and the stick replaced if any problems are found.

“The exact cause of the failure is still under investigation,” says the regulator, referring to the incident which triggered the action.

The stick and grip assembly fractured above the cabin floor at a junction with the collective jackshaft, it adds, before engine-start as the pilot was checking flight controls for travel.

Transport Canada says there is a “potential for similar failure” on other 505s. It says the directive covers models of the helicopter from serial number 65011 upwards.

Known as the Jet Ranger X, the five-seat helicopter was unveiled in 2013. It underwent a rapid development, with a 20-month span from concept to first flight, says the manufacturer.

Transport Canada certified the helicopter in December 2016, followed by the US FAA in June 2017 and European Union Aviation Safety Agency in November 2017.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Bell 505 collective lever fracture...

#2 Post by PHXPhlyer » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:02 pm

Ref Bell 505:
Question for our rotorheads:
While looking up info on the 505, first I'd heard of it, I came across this:
Max takeoff weight: 3,680 lb (1,669 kg) (Internal load), 4,475 lb (2,030 kg) (external load).
Why is the max weight higher for external load ops? :-?

PP

ian16th
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by ian16th » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:02 pm

It come off in me 'and Chief!
Cynicism improves with age

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#4 Post by bob2s » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:52 pm

Same thing occurred on the Jet Ranger,pilot left with a stump of a collective,AD was issued back then as well.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by FD2 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:39 pm

Without looking into the load difference too closely perhaps it could be due to how internal loads stress the airframe differently to internal ones, or perhaps CofG problems.

C16 - wasn't there another incident in Oman with a disconnected collective? In JS's case the torque didn't wind down altogether, if remaining memory cell is correct?

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by CharlieOneSix » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:32 pm

As FD2 says the stresses on the fuselage structure with a bunch of passengers will be different from an external load which is hung at one point usually directly underneath the rotor mast - except in the case of the Chinook and others which have multi external load points. I'm sure a test pilot would give a better explanation but we don't have one on here....
FD2 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:39 pm
........C16 - wasn't there another incident in Oman with a disconnected collective? In JS's case the torque didn't wind down altogether, if remaining memory cell is correct?
I don't recall an Oman incident but that's not to say it didn't happen - memory dulls with time and age! With regard to the JS case, when the collective disengaged the blades flew to an angle which gave him 40% torque instead of the 70% cruise torque. He slowed to best rate of climb speed but he was still going down at 100-200 ft/min which was maintained until he ran out of height and ideas before he could reach land. He did a superb ditching using only the cyclic.

AAIB report: G-BKFN ditching 1986
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:35 pm

Interesting reading the evaluation of the Bell 505.
One thing that was a bit odd for me was the collective, which had a cork-wrapped area that looked like a throttle — but wasn’t. In fact, there is no mechanical “twist grip” throttle. On the right side of the module at the top of the collective is a two-position toggle switch that selects either “Idle” or “Fly.” That’s all you get.

https://verticalmag.com/features/back-in-the-game/

Basic design.

Bell-Collective-Stick.jpeg
Bell 505.JPG

https://verticalmag.com/news/bell-505-c ... directive/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by FD2 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 am

Mea culpa - internal loads may stress the fuselage differently to external ones - thanks C16.

Your relating JS's ditching has jogged my memory as JS told me after his ditching that a similar thing had happened in Oman to Fraser Skea, an ex-RAF pilot flying the 214ST in Oman. The same result after a similar, but not the same, breakage meant that they had to run the aircraft onto the ground at a low speed. Luckily there was a firm surface in that part of the desert and no further damage occurred. Fraser lived in Pitcaple but I'm not sure which company he flew with in his North Sea time. https://www.worcesternews.co.uk/news/41 ... ash-in-58/

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:08 am

The question about the external load (as interesting as it is) is possibly academic because the Bell 505 specification says:

Gross weight (internal) 3,680 lbs
Gross weight (external load) 4,475 lbs
Maximum external load (cargo hook limit) 1,500 lbs

The cargo hook (as fitted) wouldn't allow you to try for the 4475 lbs.

bell 505-Spec.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#10 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 am

Not quite, TGG. From the Bell specification the empty weight of the base aircraft is 2180 lbs. Hook limit is 1500 lbs. With a max gross weight(external) of 4475 lbs and assuming max load on the hook you have 795 lbs disposable left for the pilot and fuel.

Assuming that the fuel capacity stated is in USG then 84.85USG ofJet A-1 at 15C yields 569 lbs of fuel. Add in a pilot at 180lbs and you have 1 lb of disposable load left....but depending on the task you probably wouldn't go with full fuel.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#11 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:15 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:05 am
Not quite, TGG. From the Bell specification the empty weight of the base aircraft is 2180 lbs. Hook limit is 1500 lbs. With a max gross weight(external) of 4475 lbs and assuming max load on the hook you have 795 lbs disposable left for the pilot and fuel.

Assuming that the fuel capacity stated is in USG then 84.85USG ofJet A-1 at 15C yields 569 lbs of fuel. Add in a pilot at 180lbs and you have 1 lb of disposable load left!
That'll learn me not to do me sums properly... :-bd

Add me in at 230 lbs and full fuel and... =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:24 am

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:15 am
That'll learn me not to do me sums properly... :-bd

Add me in at 230 lbs and... =))
Snap, TGG - with you and me in it we'd probably exceed the forward CG limits!! :D

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:33 am

So the initially-perceived extra weight available for an external load does not exist.
In fact, all passengers and baggage must first be evacuated.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#14 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 am

Don't know about elsewhere but in the UK civvie world you are not permitted to carry anyone other than crew whilst doing external load operations.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by CharlieOneSix » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:52 pm

I made the statement in #14 above from memory and then had doubts as to whether that was an ANO or Company Ops Manual limitation so went on a trawl through the ANO which I used to know backwards when flying a desk. Found the reference at Article 88(6) "Towing, picking up and raising of persons and articles":
(6) A passenger must not be carried in a helicopter at any time when an article, person or animal is suspended from the helicopter, other than—

(a)a passenger who has duties to perform in connection with the article, person or animal;

(b)a passenger who has been picked up or raised by means external to the helicopter; or

(c)a passenger who it is intended will be lowered to the surface by means external to the helicopter.
and Article 88(7)(b):
(7) Nothing in this article—

(b)prohibits the picking up or raising of any person, animal or article in an emergency or for the purpose of saving life;
I see there is also CAP 426 - Helicopter External Load Operations which I don't recall from my day. Skimming through it I didn't find any reference to passenger carrying restrictions...but it was a skim through.

G~Man
Capt
Capt

#16 Post by G~Man » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:25 pm

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:43 am
Don't know about elsewhere but in the UK civvie world you are not permitted to carry anyone other than crew whilst doing external load operations.
While technically it could be argued they are not crew, here in the US on fires we would fly with the "fire crew" inside and their chainsaws and tools in a net slung underneath. We then drop the net, and then the "crew" rappels out.

Yours Truly:
1.jpg
2.jpg
B-) Life may not be the party you hoped for, but while you're here, you may as well dance. B-)