Wracked with his own peculiar
Froggy pain.
Neither flying,
Nor working.
But still in the South.
Rooted.
Down at mouth.
Without an aeroplane.

Yesterday which which started out with so much joy, brightness and hope soon turned into a hiatus, within a sun tanning session, to a tedium heat induced delirium wracked failure to fly.

Arrived at the airfield to pick up the aircraft at 12:00 hrs. It had been scheduled for hourly maintenance in the morning, (an oil, change, oleo checks that sort of thing) to find the propeller off, the cowling disassembled and two angst filled aircraft engineers removing the magneto. "It failed the mags check, we are just removing the magneto to look at it. Come back back at 13:00 hrs and it should be good to fly".

More coffee and a tuna sandwich followed by more coffee and still no word from the hangar. Have a look in the hangar where one sweating, and shame faced engineer now tells us that one of the bolts holding the magneto sheared and that he is struggling to turn and remove the head still blocking the thread, so I get on the phone to C16 to say I expect a departure at +- 16:00 hours, still good enough to get to Perth Scotland by 19:30 hours. That good man then offers to meet me, and my friend and other flying partner in committing aviation, at Perth airfield, and take us to a suitable hostelry where we can all sup and perhaps raise a glass.

The Gods did not smile upon us, and by 15:30, although the bolt had been fixed, the prop re-attached, spark plugs back in, the engine was still stuttering and spluttering. The heat was beginning to sap my will to live and I was also beginning to be beset by a growing unease about taking a post maintenance aircraft with a gremlin on a long flight without an hour or two flying within close proximity of the runway lest the donkey decide not continue pulling, and thus sadly I canned the flight, which was the right decision as by the time 16:00 hrs came, the aircraft was disassembled again.

So here I sit stuck today, looking at the low cloud and clag, down here, wishing I was up there, in Scotland! :(

The only bright spot yesterday afternoon, hot sunshine aside, was meeting up with a charming 45 year old Irish musician and music teacher, who had just passed his RT test and had that faraway look, lost in thrall to aviation, akin to the one Toad of Toad Hall had when he sat mumbling" poop poop", addicted to his beloved performance motor car. His skills test is booked for two weeks time and he is a minor celebrity having turned his Cessna completely turtle, pointy tail down in the grass, after a bounce and and a gusty crosswind proved more than his growing skill could handle. That he and his instructor shrugged this off, is a credit to him and their will to succeed. Good luck to you Stephen, you are good bloke! :-bd

all dressed up and nowehere to go.JPG
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: This padock's dis is thorougly gruntled

#2 Post by CharlieOneSix » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:39 am

TGG - yes that was a disappointment, I was really looking forward to an evening in Perth with you and James but the new date in July is marked in red on my wall chart. Great flying weather up here today - almost total clear blue, 19C and light winds. Sod's Law!
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Boac » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 am

Argh! That's a bummer. I know how much effort and planning will have gone into this trip.

C16 better perhaps to talk about driving rain and low cloud around Perth............... =))

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:06 am

Yes, me too C16, disappointed that is, but even more determined to see you early in July.

The aircraft of first choice, the fully IFR kitted one booked originally, was flying yesterday but not allowed to leave the home airfield, due to the fact that the oleo was not pumped up and the powers that be didn't want to risk it becoming stranded away from base. Lack of logic and poor maintenance scheduling at Stapleford here, given that they will not be able to fly that aircraft today , or the one that was actually scheduled to be "fixed", and most likely tomorrow and Saturday due to the poor weather here, and had they fixed the IFR equipped one, they would be earning from it today as I was planning to fly up to Easter today and the Shetlands tomorrow. Commercially inept!

The crock I was waiting for yesterday has had a hard life...

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _10-10.pdf
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#5 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:14 am

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:37 am

Bummer...the best laid plans af men and mice...

Daughter got herself endorsed on DA40 and DA42. then the DA 42 went u/s somewhere interstate and hasn't returned, and the owner of the DA 40 has had it returned to his state, so the school no longer has either. Her endorsements have expired, so she's back to Cessnas.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7 Post by EA01 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:49 am

Lucky her to be 'just' back to there!!....(Cessna)

I recently saw what a licence here was 'worth', $30k, WHAT!!!!,outrageous!...Dunno what 'dispo' is available for prior learning / achievement....but, for me, going for a job at the school seems not enough even!!

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8 Post by Hydromet » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:45 pm

D1 paid for her PPL, instrument & multi-engine endorsements herself. She's purely into recreational flying but 'thinks she'd like to try aerobatics'. Don't know what it's all cost her, but she works damned hard.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#9 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:10 pm

The game is afoot again and I hope I have not opened my mouth to change feet. Better equipped aircraft booked for next weekend.

Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Scotland's nicer national anthem

#10 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:43 pm

[media]BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra plays Yes Sir, I Can Boogie[/media]

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Scotland's nicer national anthem

#11 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:52 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:43 pm
Ah the story of the clan McBaccara! =)) ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#12 Post by CharlieOneSix » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:29 pm

Just done a quick weather check on the route for next weekend - looks good at this stage. I shall await the call for Hands to Flying Stations.

The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#13 Post by Boac » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Just make sure you turn HMS Scone into wind for the arrival.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Scotland's nicer national anthem

#14 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:43 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:52 pm
Undried Plum wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:43 pm
Ah the story of the clan McBaccara! =)) ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#15 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:45 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm
Just make sure you turn HMS Scone into wind for the arrival.
=))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#16 Post by Undried Plum » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 pm

When AST was killed off they sold the ILS to Sheffield or somesuch place. Dunno who they sold the NDB to. By then VDF had gone out of fashion, so I guess that simply went to a scrappie.

The VOR, which is handily located just to the left of the threshold of 21, still exists as it is owned by the CAA.

I can't be arsed to clamber into the loft to get that logbook, but I well remember flying the last flight to land there when the tower closed down. I landed just 90secs before closure, bringing one of AST's Warriors back from Turnhouse Flying Club whose owners had bought the entire fleet of Aerobats (13, I think, the world's largest fleet of that type) and a dozen Warriors and half a dozen 310s. When the appointed hour came, the girls in the tower shut off the recorder and sang a very emotional song which they had written for the occasion. A Cygnet, which took off back to Prestwick just before I landed, said "May the Phoenix rise again". Amen to that.

There must be tens of thousands of pilots, almost all retired by now I should think, who have fond memories of being trained there. I did my Flying Scholarship there more than half a century ago and in the 1990s I was a frequent renter, at astonishingly cheap rates, of all of their types.

A truly brilliant place, in its day. Still a lovely location, and sometimes a wee bit challenging for those not fortunate to have been trained to handle the normally tatty weather we experience as matter of normality in Scotland.

Nice long and wide main runway. Two Hunters were landed there to become organ donors and torture victims for the Engineering College. A trio of spirited BA drivers delivered a Trident there for the same purpose, though on that occasion the cops did evacuate half the populace of the neighbouring village of New Scone "as a precaution, mind".

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#17 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:56 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:35 pm
When AST was killed off they sold the ILS to Sheffield or somesuch place. Dunno who they sold the NDB to. By then VDF had gone out of fashion, so I guess that simply went to a scrappie.

The VOR, which is handily located just to the left of the threshold of 21, still exists as it is owned by the CAA.

I can't be arsed to clamber into the loft to get that logbook, but I well remember flying the last flight to land there when the tower closed down. I landed just 90secs before closure, bringing one of AST's Warriors back from Turnhouse Flying Club whose owners had bought the entire fleet of Aerobats (13, I think, the world's largest fleet of that type) and a dozen Warriors and half a dozen 310s. When the appointed hour came, the girls in the tower shut off the recorder and sang a very emotional song which they had written for the occasion. A Cygnet, which took off back to Prestwick just before I landed, said "May the Phoenix rise again". Amen to that.

There must be tens of thousands of pilots, almost all retired by now I should think, who have fond memories of being trained there. I did my Flying Scholarship there more than half a century ago and in the 1990s I was a frequent renter, at astonishingly cheap rates, of all of their types.

A truly brilliant place, in its day. Still a lovely location, and sometimes a wee bit challenging for those not fortunate to have been trained to handle the normally tatty weather we experience as matter of normality in Scotland.

Nice long and wide main runway. Two Hunters were landed there to become organ donors and torture victims for the Engineering College. A trio of spirited BA drivers delivered a Trident there for the same purpose, though on that occasion the cops did evacuate half the populace of the neighbouring village of New Scone "as a precaution, mind".
Well Perth airfield is still a pleasant one and the folks I have met there before have been very friendly.

I know one "shouldn't do this", but there is a local/unofficial approach to runway to 21 which one of the locals shared with me and which can easily be dialed into a GPS, in extremis, although it would make far more sense to divert to Dundee whose Rwy09 instrument procedures penetrate Perth ATZ at 1800ft AGL anyway.

perth.JPG
The weather around there can be a tad inclement but, as you say, the locals seem to lap it up with a spoon. I did have a mild event some years back en route there from the North when I started to pick up ice but it didn't end badly fortunately.

These folks were lucky to survive this mind you.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/nostalg ... ood-movie/
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

Rossian
Capt
Capt

#18 Post by Rossian » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:02 pm

UP if you did your training there did you come across Archie Kinch ex maritime Sqn Ldr? He was an instructor for a long time I believe.

The Ancient Mariner

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#19 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:09 pm

Good to see that you have reclaimed your identity Rossian. :YMAPPLAUSE: :-bd

PP

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot