The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#1501 Post by OFSO » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 am

International vulcanologists are meeting today up at our nearby 'dormant' volcano group to discuss, er, volcanos. Hope the Gods of the Underworld don't see this as provocation.

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1502 Post by Woody » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:23 am

OFSO wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:32 am
International vulcanologists are meeting today up at our nearby 'dormant' volcano group to discuss, er, volcanos. Hope the Gods of the Underworld don't see this as provocation.
Maybe you should have a virgin on standby, to sacrifice if required :))
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1503 Post by Boac » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:39 am

Ah - if only..........

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1504 Post by EA01 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:44 am

I read that as sugary
Ha!, can see why!,.... just 13 txts today...

just 4 patients today...

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1505 Post by Ibbie » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am

Perhaps they could reopen the Vulcan Foundry at Newton le Willows and build some more Deltics diesel rail locos, rather than gaze into a series of blaising cracks.

Would be more productive.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1506 Post by tango15 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:00 pm

Ibbie wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:03 am
Perhaps they could reopen the Vulcan Foundry at Newton le Willows and build some more Deltics diesel rail locos, rather than gaze into a series of blaising cracks.

Would be more productive.
Hear, hear, Ibbie! Great locos they were and the sons of Deltic are still to be found on preserved railways in the UK, thankfully.

Over the years, I met a number of vulcanoligists in South America. The one thing they agreed upon is that it is virtually impossible to know when they are going to erupt. Ditto with seismologists. All the techy stuff in the world won't tell you what is happening so deep below the surface.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1507 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:11 pm

Well the day got off to a resounding crash, from outside the side of the house. Sounded like a bomb had gone off. Rushed out to find that our old Edwardian gutter pipe, cast iron, had let go, taking part of the gutter with it and had exploded like a grenade on the brick path, fortunately not hitting anybody or anything like cars etc. More expense, on yet another cast iron disaster this month!

DownPipe.jpg
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1508 Post by EA01 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm

Looks expensive TGG?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1509 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:19 pm

EA01 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 pm
Looks expensive TGG?
It could be worse, it could have brained the postman. It will be expensive if we go for the cast iron again, which we should do out of respect for the house! It would happen in my combined personal and corporate tax month, what with the sheep shearer's fair on and the ongoing strike at the Karl Lagerfed Bondage dungeons in its 7th month! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1510 Post by tango15 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:37 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:19 pm
EA01 wrote:
Looks expensive TGG?
It could be worse, it could have brained the postman. It will be expensive if we go for the cast iron again, which we should do out of respect for the house! It would happen in my combined personal and corporate tax month, what with the sheep shearer's fair on and the ongoing strike at the Karl Lagerfed Bondage dungeons in its 7th month! =))
With regard to the ongoing strike at the Karl Lagerfeld Bondage dungeons, I wonder if it would be worth importing some Thai women as black (well brown really), labour, to break the strike?
Thai women are naturally submissive (so I'm told!), and as an additional treat for the punters, you could get them playing ping-pong. :)) Currently, with all that time and no work or money in Thailand, you could pick the best ones and get them cheap. With OFSO scehduled to arrive on these shores before Christmas, you have at least one guaranteed customer... :)

Can't help with suggestions for the sheep shaggers shearers fair thoough - sorry!

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1511 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:40 pm

tango15 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:37 pm
TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:19 pm
EA01 wrote:
Looks expensive TGG?
With regard to the ongoing strike at the Karl Lagerfeld Bondage dungeons, I wonder if it would be worth importing some Thai women as black (well brown really), labour, to break the strike?
Thai women are naturally submissive (so I'm told!), and as an additional treat for the punters, you could get them playing ping-pong. :)) Currently, with all that time and no work or money in Thailand, you could pick the best ones and get them cheap. With OFSO scehduled to arrive on these shores before Christmas, you have at least one guaranteed customer... :)

Can't help with suggestions for the sheep shaggers shearers fair thoough - sorry!
Ah, but the Tuetonic clientele so miss big Helga Von Braun, the best dominatrix since Doris didn't eat Raoul! :)

I am big fan of Doris mind you! ;)))

Susan Saiger.JPG
Susan Saiger.JPG (35.26 KiB) Viewed 579 times
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

4mastacker
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1512 Post by 4mastacker » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:25 pm

House insurance renewal notice arrived today. Pleasantly surprised to find that there's been no increase in the premium; t'is the same as last year's. Car insurance has also gone down. :-bd
It's always my fault - SWMBO

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1513 Post by Undried Plum » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:51 pm

4mastacker wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:25 pm
Pleasantly surprised to find that there's been no increase in the premium; t'is the same as last year's. Car insurance has also gone down.
Buggah!

DBx
Capt
Capt

#1514 Post by DBx » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:17 am

My car insurance has been with LV= for the last six years so was rather disappointed when their renewal notice arrived a couple of days ago to see that they are asking for an extra 12% over last year's premium. No change in circumstances other than I am (obviously) one year older.

Have renewed identical cover elsewhere at about £95 less than they were asking.

In my experience LV= have form for walking their prices up over a period of time for all their products if the customer is not alert.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1515 Post by OFSO » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:06 am

Morning all. Have to visit dentist today. Reading posts on Ops Normal spread dental problems.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#1516 Post by Ex-Ascot » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:33 am

Morning folks. Another scorcher on the books. Need to top up the pool. Also need to top up the lagoon but it is standard for this time of year, the ship is still floating alongside the jetty which is the main thing. Expecting the CCTV chaps back today to finish the installation. Don't think that they will. Their idea of tidy and our idea of tidy is completely different.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1517 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:31 am

DBx, I am with Aviva, big welcome cash back first year, increase next time. Lesson learnt.
New insurer next time then welcome cash back from Aviva year after.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1518 Post by Boac » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:48 am

Folks - there is always a rip off if you 'stay' with a company - be it insurance, energy, or whatever - and nearly always an 'introductory' discount for a 'new' customer. Has been for years - everyone knows that. An enquiry has supposedly said this is to stop, but ALWAYS pick up the phone and haggle. This from Martin Lewis

"Car and home insurance customers should pay no more when renewing their policy than they would if they were taking out a new one with the same firm, under radical new proposals from the financial regulator.

Currently insurers often gradually renew the renewal price for existing customers over time, known as "price-walking". This is why the best prices are usually for new customers and you should NEVER auto-renew.

But under proposals from the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) for "significant reform", insurers would be unable to charge existing customers more than new ones, or slowly increase existing customers' prices unless their risk profile has changed. So when you renew a car or home insurance policy, you would pay no more than you would if you were a new customer buying a policy through the same sales channel (for example, online). The FCA estimates the proposals could save consumers £3.7 billion over 10 years.

The regulator is consulting on its plans until January 2021, and says it intends to publish new rules "next year", though it's not yet clear when they could come into effect.

As the changes won't come in any time soon, for now the usual rule applies – NEVER auto-renew."

As with everything, this will probably result in a rise in costs to the consumer.................

My house insurance is with 'Admiral' and I have accumulated over £80 in their 'Rewards' scheme which is offset against my renewal premium. Last week my renewal price arrived - 'surprisingly' up by about £70 on last year :)) Within SECONDS of talking about the price the agent said 'he could do' a reduction of £58. Simples!

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1519 Post by Ibbie » Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:59 am

Morning all.

Blue sky with a few clouds about. It is 21c.

Tis Thursday...Art for Art's Sake Day.

Cleaner is a no show this morning as her grandaughter is ill and she has to look after her whilst her daughter goes to work.

Manuel will be delivering another full gas bottle.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1520 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:04 am

The 'best' renewal deal is with Green Flag. Not plugging GF, just their renewal deal.

Eg, buy on internet £75. Next year renewal through the post £150. Check internet, £75. Ring GF, speak to person, renew at £75. This was true for FIVE years.

Best deal ever though with GF. Upgraded my cover to full continental, went on my trip, returned and rang to see if I could reduce my cover again as I no longer needed it. It was inside the 14 days and I got a full refund even though they had been at risk for my trip.