A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Climate Crisis!!!!

#221 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:04 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:51 pm
My hope is that EVs will all be able to discharge power from their own batteries to a home or office where they are parked or even to the grid to smooth out the very peaky demand over the daily cycle.

This is being emphasized in the ads for Ford's new F-150 electric pick-up truck. Powering a job site or a home during a power outage.

PP
Good for Ford! :YMAPPLAUSE:

There are two things that I think Tesla has missed out on. One is that ability to use the battery for domestic/office/factory use.

The other is a HUD. That KIA has a HUD. Tesla's Model 3/Y not only doesn't have a HUD, it also doesn't have a central instrument cluster. The offset MFD has a speedo which is significantly off the drivers sightline. Designing a HUD must surely be within the capabilities of those clever people at Tesla?

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#222 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:13 pm

Tesla have started letting non-Teslas use the Superchargers. For a fee, of course.

So far it's only ten stations in the Netherlands, but they do plan to roll out the system worldwide next year.

I've never seen a Supercharger station full up, but if every Tom Dick and Harry starts to use them then I guess that could change. Hopefully the proceeds will be ploughed back into the system by building even more Supercharger stations. My Model S has grandfather rights to unlimited free charging for life. Nowadays new buyers have to pay some kind of fee per minute of use and per kWh taken or a monthly subscription for unlimited use.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#223 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 pm

I didn't think that Tesla chargers were compatible with non-Tesla vehicles.

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#224 Post by llondel » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:27 pm

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 pm
I didn't think that Tesla chargers were compatible with non-Tesla vehicles.
I'm sure that with Tesla's approval you'll be able to buy a small box to sit between the charger and car that solves that problem. Or they designed them up-front to handle multiple standards and can enable compatibility with a software tweak.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#225 Post by Dushan » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:32 pm

Undried Plum wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:04 pm
PHXPhlyer wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:51 pm
My hope is that EVs will all be able to discharge power from their own batteries to a home or office where they are parked or even to the grid to smooth out the very peaky demand over the daily cycle.

This is being emphasized in the ads for Ford's new F-150 electric pick-up truck. Powering a job site or a home during a power outage.

PP
Good for Ford! :YMAPPLAUSE:

There are two things that I think Tesla has missed out on. One is that ability to use the battery for domestic/office/factory use.

The other is a HUD. That KIA has a HUD. Tesla's Model 3/Y not only doesn't have a HUD, it also doesn't have a central instrument cluster. The offset MFD has a speedo which is significantly off the drivers sightline. Designing a HUD must surely be within the capabilities of those clever people at Tesla?
Tesla sells a home use battery that can power a home and sits on the side of the house.

HUD? Tesla is known as "iPad on wheels" so no need for a HUD.

I'll continue using my V8, thank you.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#226 Post by FD2 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:53 pm

PHOTO-2021-11-10-10-24-26.jpg
PHOTO-2021-11-10-10-24-26.jpg (117.31 KiB) Viewed 655 times

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#227 Post by Undried Plum » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:37 pm

Dushan wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:32 pm
Tesla sells a home use battery that can power a home and sits on the side of the house.
Yes. It's called a Powerwall and I've got two of them.

Puny capacity. My ground source heat pump system needs to 2kW of electricity to run it and produces up to 9kW of heat in return. The Powerwall batts can run that for less than half a day. Pathetic and especially frustrating when I've got ten times that capacity sitting in the barn/garage right next to the Powerwalls, slung under the fuselage of the car.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#228 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:03 am

I have a 20 year old Audi S8- a 4.2 litre. Does that make me green for not forcing construction of a new car, or black for running a thirsty monster?

I also have a 5 litre Sunbeam Tiger- is that green?

Personally, I couldn't give a- and I suggest other readers take the same view.

ribrash

#229 Post by ribrash » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:04 am

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:03 am
I have a 20 year old Audi S8- a 4.2 litre. Does that make me green for not forcing construction of a new car, or black for running a thirsty monster?

I also have a 5 litre Sunbeam Tiger- is that green?

Personally, I couldn't give a- and I suggest other readers take the same view.
+1

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#230 Post by Boac » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:07 am

Colour blindness can be a real handicap. =))

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#231 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:05 pm

I heard the leader of Tuvalu saying that the place is literally sinking.

How very alarming, not to mention 'right on'.

But....
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-19/ ... g/10627318

I call bs on him.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#232 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:08 pm

The climate change deniers really are delusional.

Fortunately, the science contradicts their arseholery

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#233 Post by Boac » Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:44 pm

The only process that could reduce the 'sinking' of islands is any tectonic/volcanic movement, is it not?

om15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#234 Post by om15 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:49 pm

Jeremy Clarkson has caused yet more hysteria among the loonies by suggesting that Greta should have her bottom smacked for missing school and attending COP26.
He is being labeled as a sexual pervert amongst other things, we are being shown daily just how ludicrous our society has become. The thing is the loonie leftie woke BAME admiring nutters seem to be everywhere, it is alarming.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

dumCOPf26 result

#235 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:03 pm

Ten pages of Blah blah blah.

Undried Plum
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#236 Post by Undried Plum » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:06 pm

Boac wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 3:44 pm
The only process that could reduce the 'sinking' of islands is any tectonic/volcanic movement, is it not?
Land goes up and land goes down, at different rates in different places. That's not the problem.

The problem is that we are still pumping silly amounts of greenhouse gases into the sky causing sea levels to rise and the pH of seawater to fall.

AtomKraft
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#237 Post by AtomKraft » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:16 pm

Plum
I've sailed past islands out Thailand way, and it's clear that the sea level has been 30m higher on them than it is today.

Sea level is a bit kike temp, it's usually moving very slowly higher or lower. It's just not going to jump up and bite you in the arse!

Did you look at the article I linked to about Tuvalu? What did you think?

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#238 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:22 pm

AtomKraft wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:16 pm
Plum
I've sailed past islands out Thailand way, and it's clear that the sea level has been 30m higher on them than it is today.

Sea level is a bit kike temp, it's usually moving very slowly higher or lower. It's just not going to jump up and bite you in the arse!

Did you look at the article I linked to about Tuvalu? What did you think?
Talk to the folks in the Maldives, a good friend of mine flies there and he tells a very different story to Atom... and the ocean levels are effectively rising world wide, physics being what it is!

Thank God you didn't design missiles! :p ;)))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#239 Post by John Hill » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:38 pm

Sea level changes do not happen in isolation. Rising sea level will cause an increase in erosion so it is utter crap to say that "It is erosion, not sea level rise".

Climate changes that includes an increase of temperature will have effect on water levels but even without a change in sea level an increase in temperature makes the entire meteorological system more active, winds will be stronger, wave action more violent, storm surges will be deeper and all these changes cause an increase in erosion. A rise in sea level will make erosion even worse.

A rise in sea level brings another danger to tropical islands and that is contamination and eventual destruction of the subterranean fresh water lens on which many depend on.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

TheGreenGoblin
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#240 Post by TheGreenGoblin » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:43 pm

John Hill wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:38 pm
Sea level changes do not happen in isolation. Rising sea level will cause an increase in erosion so it is utter crap to say that "It is erosion, not sea level rise".

Climate changes that includes an increase of temperature will have effect on water levels but even without a change in sea level an increase in temperature makes the entire meteorological system more active, winds will be stronger, wave action more violent, storm surges will be deeper and all these changes cause an increase in erosion. A rise in sea level will make erosion even worse.
I don't think we should even engage with Atom on a rational level. He has found his religion in the world of the irrational that suits his a priori propositions. A bit shocking really for a pilot whose life has been predicated on the outcome of good physics, and the scientific principle, but, hey, it takes all sorts I guess!

Aye Atom! =))
Though you remain
Convinced
"To be alive
You must have somewhere
To go
Your destination remains
Elusive."