Capt
Capt
Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#1361 Post by admin2 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:59 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:54 pm
admin2 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:01 pm
I've told off Boac for digressing on the thread, so let's get back to the war in Ukraine.
Who are you and what have you done with Alison?

Bob - it looks as if you need to do some reading in the 'Members' only 'section. I have sent you a PM as well.

Bob
Capt
Capt

#1362 Post by Bob » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Bollox
I hereby declare the U.S.A. a Pariah state.
All U.S. Citizens or persons arriving from the U.S.A. will be denied access

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1363 Post by FD2 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:13 pm

Bob wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:26 pm
Bollox
Is that your considered opinion? =))

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1364 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:52 am

Woody wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:05 pm
For all those who thought that the situation at Chelsea FC was bizarre,this from Staines Town today :-o

http://stainestownfootballclub.co.uk/ur ... statement/
I got a 509 Bandwidth Exceeded page off of that link. Clearly lots of people have been going to look. However, someone's put the whole thing on Twitter here

This is the response from Downing:
https://www.downing.co.uk/news/downings ... ub-website

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1365 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:21 am

Well it has the benefit of brevity.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1366 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:32 am

Woopsee #-o
Russian Civil Aviation Authority Rosaviatsia offline

This seems the best place for this as it is certainly related.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4f6a8fd6&opt=0

Russia's Civil Aviation Authority "Rosaviatsia" (favt.ru) went offline yesterday (Monday March 28th 2022), this website as well as associated websites no longer respond.

According to some stories in Russian Media this is due to a large scale restructuring of the agency after the head of the agency is about to retire after 23 years in service.

The agency themselves put out a (Russian) statement that reads (translation by AVH):

Due to temporary lack of access to Internet and malfunction of the electronic document flow system of Rosaviatsia the Federal Agency for Air Transport is switching to paper version.

The document flow procedure is being determined by the current records management instructions.

Information exchange will be carried out via AFTN channel (for urgent short message) and postal mail.

Please make this information available to all Civil Aviation Organizations.

Aviation Sources in Russia report that Rosaviatsia fell victim to a hacker attack started on last Saturday (Mar 26th 2022), which wiped out their entire database and files consisting of 65 Terabytes of data including e-mail of 1.5 years, documents, aircraft registration data ... No backup of these data exists due to lack of funds allocated by Russia's Ministry of Finance. Rosaviatsia blames the success of the hacker attack (presumably carried out by the Anonymous Hacking Group) onto their contractor hired to maintain their IT-structure. Prosecution office as well as secret service are investigating since Saturday. Official statements like a change of head of the agency are incorrect, the head of the agency is still in office.

Reader Comments: (the comments posted below do not reflect the view of The Aviation Herald but represent the view of the various posters)
Does it really matter?
By Mike Hunt's mate on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 20:49Z

Worse things happen at sea.

Reposession?
By Langschwert on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 20:15Z

I found a link about that reposession-thing. Still might be a far fetch but interesting.
Look for "Russia refuses to hand back more than 500 leased airplanes | DW News" at (don´t know if links are welcome here)

Pilot docs too?
By Thomas on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 19:59Z

would that also cover the documentation regarding licenses issued to pilots in Russia?

By (anonymous) on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 17:06Z

Gj anonymous

Maintenance records are gove
By A1 on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 16:56Z

With maintenance records gone they rendered these a/c and even parts useless for anybody else but themselves

How much data?
By Durb on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 16:00Z

Their entire civil aviation records comprised of only 65TB of data!?

Missing Data
By Elderly Kansas on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 15:59Z

Or maybe all Rosaviatsia data, for financial reasons, was stored at a facility in Ukraine, and it just got bombed.

@Langschwert, Reposession
By Anonymouse on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 15:02Z

This won't do much good since those foreign owners won't just surrender their property b/c of some legal stunt... If they don't retain their posessive rights, at least they will claim damages and the minute an aircraft operated by a (former?) contractor sets one wheel on asphalt in a western country, it's as good as chained.

By ATC from Ukraine on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 14:05Z

Feel very sad about Rosaviatsia.
NOT.

Identification
By daemotron on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 12:52Z

"Losing" the Russian registration data won't really allow those birds returning to servicing foreign destinations - there are other means of identifying an airframe (e.g. manufacturer serial number). Tampering with these is much harder than re-registering an aircraft, and would also be an excuse to immediately ground an aircraft entirely until its provenience and status has been cleared.

@Langschwert
By DRC on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 11:39Z

I think, individual aircraft from small leasing companies or private aside, that "stealing" is a bit of an extreme term. The odds of AerCap, GECAS, etc. just rolling over are very slim. Too much money in play. I believe their strategy is that they are trying to slow down/complicate possible airframe retrieval processes with the hope that all will return to normal.

My 2 cents.

DRC

I'm going to predict...
By JT on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 10:54Z

I will predict that all the externally visible tail registration numbers, line numbers, and any identifying markings on all those leased jets will immediately change to new numbers.

@Langschwert
By Oneman on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 08:16Z

I would agree with your idea. This way,what you write is the truth,whatever they write and stamp it,is the law. All is fair in love and war....

Langschwert
By Steve on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 08:12Z

Well, that won't really work, unless they also wiped the records in Bermuda and Ireland -- if I understand what you're saying.

Pretty embarrassing, in any case. Maybe they just forgot to pay their web hosting bill..?

Reposession?
By Langschwert on Tuesday, Mar 29th 2022 08:08Z

Probably no connection to that but - all registration data lost - that would be a nice coincidence since Putin just legalized to re-register (steal) leased airplanes that don´t belong to the Russian companies. All (most?) of the foreign leasing companies ended the contracts and that way about half of the Russian civil fleet would be gone.
Just thinking..

PP

John Hill
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1367 Post by John Hill » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:22 am

They were warned to not ignore those McAfee nags.
Been in data comm since we formed the bits individually with a Morse key.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1368 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:23 am

PP, illuminating, ty

admin2
Capt
Capt

#1369 Post by admin2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:04 am

Way off course, guys! Re-align those gyros. AFTN coding is not relevant to this topic and you will find it at viewforum.php?f=81

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1370 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:55 pm

admin2 wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:04 am
Way off course, guys! Re-align those gyros. AFTN coding is not relevant to this topic and you will find it at viewforum.php?f=81
The gist of the article was not about AFTN coding.
PN and I think the article is relevant to current affairs.

PP

admin2
Capt
Capt

#1371 Post by admin2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:41 pm

PHX - I did not make reference to your article which did not, I think, refer to AFTN coding? Your post was not transposed. AFTN coding was.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1372 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:15 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:32 am
Woopsee #-o
Russian Civil Aviation Authority Rosaviatsia offline

This seems the best place for this as it is certainly related.

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4f6a8fd6&opt=0

Russia's Civil Aviation Authority "Rosaviatsia" (favt.ru) went offline yesterday (Monday March 28th 2022), this website as well as associated websites no longer respond.

According to some stories in Russian Media this is due to a large scale restructuring of the agency after the head of the agency is about to retire after 23 years in service.

The agency themselves put out a (Russian) statement that reads (translation by AVH):

Due to temporary lack of access to Internet and malfunction of the electronic document flow system of Rosaviatsia the Federal Agency for Air Transport is switching to paper version.

The document flow procedure is being determined by the current records management instructions.

Information exchange will be carried out via AFTN channel (for urgent short message) and postal mail.

Please make this information available to all Civil Aviation Organizations.

Aviation Sources in Russia report that Rosaviatsia fell victim to a hacker attack started on last Saturday (Mar 26th 2022), which wiped out their entire database and files consisting of 65 Terabytes of data including e-mail of 1.5 years, documents, aircraft registration data ... No backup of these data exists due to lack of funds allocated by Russia's Ministry of Finance. Rosaviatsia blames the success of the hacker attack (presumably carried out by the Anonymous Hacking Group) onto their contractor hired to maintain their IT-structure. Prosecution office as well as secret service are investigating since Saturday. Official statements like a change of head of the agency are incorrect, the head of the agency is still in office.

RIF
PP

admin2
Capt
Capt

#1373 Post by admin2 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:36 pm

PHX - you are dragging this out! You did not need to copy and paste the whole block of that post which I am ACTUALLY capable of reading in your first post! Do me a favour - and your 'supporter' PN - and read the contents of the topic I moved the other posts to and tell me if you both really think if it is "relevant to current affairs"?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1374 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:53 pm

Admin2:

In my defense, my post was before John Hill's.
Not trying to cross you.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1375 Post by llondel » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:49 pm

OK, I guess most of the world could have predicted this result.
Several hundred Russian soldiers were forced to hastily withdraw from the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in Ukraine after suffering “acute radiation sickness” from contaminated soil, according to Ukrainian officials.

The troops, who dug trenches in a contaminated Red Forest near the site of the worst nuclear disaster in history, are now reportedly being treated in a special medical facility in Gomel, Belarus. The forest is so named because thousands of pine trees turned red during the 1986 nuclear disaster. The area is considered so highly toxic that not even highly specialized Chernobyl workers are allowed to enter the zone.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/russian-t ... l-trenches

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1376 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:57 am

PN wrote:Don't drag me into your petty squabbles.
If that was for me, then the only reason you were mentioned in dispatches is because of viewtopic.php?f=64&t=6954&start=1360#p330998. Not my choice. Did you or didn't you?

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1377 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:02 am

UKRINFORM
In the evening on March 29, an ammunition depot in the suburbs of Belgorod caught on fire. As a result, four Russian servicemen were injured.
and
There was a fire at the oil depot in the town of Belgorod. All emergency services went to the scene. Measures are being taken to eliminate it," Vyacheslav Gladkov, head of the Belgorod region, said on the morning of Friday, April 1, Ukrinform reports.
Bad luck or sabotage?

RU or UKR?

According to the Telegraph the Russians would blame the Ukrainians. Anything else would be unconsciousable.

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1378 Post by tango15 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:09 pm

I see that Lavrov is in India, chatting them up and thanking them for their support for the 'special operation' in Ukraine.

Time for the UK to turn off the aid tap, methinks. Perhaps a few years outside the Commonwealth would do them good - let them go to Russia with their enormous begging bowl and see what sort of a reaction they get!

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1379 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:32 pm

Pontius Navigator wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:02 am
UKRINFORM
In the evening on March 29, an ammunition depot in the suburbs of Belgorod caught on fire. As a result, four Russian servicemen were injured.
and
There was a fire at the oil depot in the town of Belgorod. All emergency services went to the scene. Measures are being taken to eliminate it," Vyacheslav Gladkov, head of the Belgorod region, said on the morning of Friday, April 1, Ukrinform reports.
Bad luck or sabotage?

RU or UKR?

According to the Telegraph the Russians would blame the Ukrainians. Anything else would be unconsciousable.
Ukraine won't confirm or deny involvement in Russia blast
Rhoda Kwan

51m ago / 6:41 AM MST
Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba on Friday declined to confirm or deny allegations that his country was responsible for an air strike on an oil depot in Russia on Friday.

“I can neither confirm nor reject the claim that Ukraine was involved in this simply because I do not possess all the military information,” Kuleba said in response to reporters’ questions.

The minister's comments came after the governor of Belgorod, which is near the border with Ukraine, blamed the explosion on an air strike carried out by two Ukrainian helicopters.

NBC News could not independently verify the claim the Ukrainian armed forces were responsible. The Ukrainian Ministry of Defense did not respond to NBC News' requests for comments.

PP

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#1380 Post by FD2 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:04 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... s-ukraine/

Too long to copy here to get around the pay wall, this story follows the farewells of 7 young Russian men in their early twenties saying what would be a last goodbye to friends and families before being shipped off to take part in this disgusting 'special operation'. You don't win a war by being kind to the other side but I couldn't help thinking about our son at that age and it brought a lump to my throat. I'm pleased that they are getting their arses kicked but grieve for their lost lives and hope that Putin rots in Hell.

Used as ‘cannon fodder’, the young Russians sent to their deaths in Ukraine

Youngsters killed on the battlefield were 'unprepared' for the horrors of war

By Verity Bowman 31 March 2022 • 6:22pm