General Chit Chat
Dushan
Capt
Capt

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#6021 Post by Dushan » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:04 pm

OFSO wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:04 pm
Fiat used to use Instantcorrodium, but now its just slow corrodium. My years-ago ownership of a 125S put me off Fiats for ever. A splendid engine though: I once drove up the autobahn from Basel to Darmstadt at 100 mph with the engine just below red on the rev counter all the way, late at night. I also drove that car non-stop from Jugenheim by Darmstadt to Frascati one night and the next day. I wasn't good for much over the next three days, other than driving back, but the car enjoyed it.
I think the Soviets improved on the instantcorrodium by making Ladas which used corrodium before it even was stamped into sheet metal.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6022 Post by G-CPTN » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:58 pm

Weren't Ladas built using thicker steel?

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6023 Post by llondel » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:40 am

G-CPTN wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:58 pm
Weren't Ladas built using thicker steel?
Allegedly it was armour-plate which they just took back to the steel mills and rolled a bit thinner. Excess left over from WW2 when they no longer needed it to build all those tanks.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6024 Post by Pontius Navigator » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:25 am

Or used German ones?

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#6025 Post by bob2s » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:12 pm

Should be an upturn in Lada production given the amount of leftover armour plate in Ukraine!

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6026 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:35 am

It's 3:30 am and I cannot get to sleep because I keep yawning . . .

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6027 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:51 am

G-CPTN there are a lot of kind of yawning: some because of the boredom some because one is really tired.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6028 Post by G-CPTN » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:18 am

Still awake (06:17) but no longer yawning.

Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6029 Post by Rwy in Sight » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:30 am

I was so sleepy that I almost fell asleep while swimming. Yet should I go to bed I would be wide awake instantly.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6030 Post by Wodrick » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:38 pm

Just been to Fill the SM mobile with noventa cinco (petrol boys and girls) 40+ litres 1.60€ per, it's discounted now.
Debit card, denied, phone made the noise for bank account activity
Repsol man agitated.
Credit card , denied, phone made the noise for bank account activity
Repsol man very agitated, I pay cash told sort it out in the office on Monday.

199€ and change - the most I have ever paid for 44 Lt Gasolina
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6031 Post by OFSO » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:09 pm

The smaller fuel suppliers here report that the Agencia Tributaria is refusing to recognise the government-mandated 20 cents per litre discount that was supposed to have started yesterday.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6032 Post by Wodrick » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:49 pm

Ref #6029.
During the course of the day my bank has cancelled the three card transactions for Gasolina so all is correct again, saves a trip to the Repsol mañana.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6033 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 pm

Fruit Fly Infestation
A piece of over-ripe fruit led to a flock (horde, host, flight :-?? ) of fruit flies.
I have made traps with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. They are working but cannot keep up with their reproductive capabilities. ~X(
Because they are infesting the kitchen I am reluctant to resort to pesticides. [-X

PP

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6034 Post by Wodrick » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:55 pm

Why soap ? SM uses apple vinegar but no soap.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6035 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:01 pm

According to The Google MachineTM, the soap reduces the surface tension so that they cant stay on top.
I have several small bowls whose bottoms are full of the little buggers.
They have made their way into the refrigerator but can't hold up to the cold.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6036 Post by llondel » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:03 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 pm
Fruit Fly Infestation
A piece of over-ripe fruit led to a flock (horde, host, flight :-?? ) of fruit flies.
I have made traps with apple cider vinegar and dish soap. They are working but cannot keep up with their reproductive capabilities. ~X(
Because they are infesting the kitchen I am reluctant to resort to pesticides. [-X
A good vacuum cleaner can help. I have reduced an unwanted fly population by that method before. Go slowly and as they realise something is approaching and try to fly away, they're already in the airflow and can't escape. A small pipe is better, has more local suction and the size means they're slower to react.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6037 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:08 pm

llondel wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:03 pm
PHXPhlyer wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:34 pm
Fruit Fly Infestation
A good vacuum cleaner can help. I have reduced an unwanted fly population by that method before. Go slowly and as they realise something is approaching and try to fly away, they're already in the airflow and can't escape. A small pipe is better, has more local suction and the size means they're slower to react.
I've been doing this as well.

PP

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6038 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:19 am

For four months I have been attempting to advise UK Tax, HMRC, of my change of address. No useful address or e-mail - that I have found - that is any use, but today I received a Notice of Coding wef. 6th April, dated January 2022 and Lo and Behold, this contained an Online www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-change-of-details note. Logged on and was ordered to register and sign in for a Government Gateway account. Started with name, e-mail, date of birth, mobile number ( UK or International ) and then they sent a code to the e-mail. Entered that and was told to invent a 10 digit password, after which they sent a code to my NZ mobile this time. Entered that and was told to create a Recognisable Word, after which I was told to Sign In. Trying to do this they wanted to confirm that I was who I was supposed to be and to be prepared to answer questions. First one was D.o.B. and name, then they asked for my UK address street number and postcode, having of course sent the Notice of Coding to New Zealand, not a UK address. I was unable to proceed beyond that because of course I don't have a UK address, but if they were prepared to accept a non UK mobile tel: no. why not a non UK address ? but I found another route which asked me to answer questions related to any two of the following three 1) details of my UK passport, which I still maintain, 2) details of what year I first applied for a Credit Card or 3) details of any Northern Ireland driving licence I may ever have held !!

I first applied for a Credit Card in the early 60's ( I think ) when Barclaycard came along, ( since kicked out due lack of UK address ) and have never held a Northern Ireland licence, so I ticked their link, quote - "I don't have two of these options."

So, I was told to F-off in Fine Pitch. Unable to establish a Government Gateway account ( whatever that is ) which they demanded before they will allow me to advise them of a change of address.

Is the World mad, or is it me ?

Does ANYONE know how to advise the UK tax mob of a change of address if living overseas ?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#6039 Post by Hydromet » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:11 am

ExSp33db1rd , I recently had a similar problem. I was able to change every detail except the one I needed to - my bank details. My solution was to email my local MP's office and tell him the problem and ask him to have someone who can solve the problem ring me. That's my go-to solution, as I don't believe in keeping a dog and barking myself (and there's an election coming up.)
Of course, if you don't have a local MP...

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#6040 Post by Smeagol » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:00 pm

Ran into a similar impasse with HMRC when I lived in Abu Dhabi. Filled in various on-line forms until I inserted my local address, which was a PO box, this was not acceptable and required a street address. No-one in HMRC seemed to know that there are no postal deliveries to individual addresses only PO Box numbers. Never did get any further with that until I returned to the UK.
We hates Bagginses!