Censoring

A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
CremeEgg
Snr FO
Snr FO

Re: Censoring

#181 Post by CremeEgg » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:02 pm

Here we go again.

A few ramblings that may be relevant to some.

As a long term reader, but an infrequent poster, I’ve often felt moved to comment over the past few weeks. As an infrequent poster, I infrequently log on by name but log on at least daily as a guest. So I’ve doubtless missed much of the behind the scenes action. I’m sure we are all well aware that this site is (or was?) Alison’s train set and hers to do as she pleases. Many thanks for many years now. Surely recent remarks about not having an “owner” are ignoring the responsibilities inherent in running the hardware and software – or have I missed something else?

As an occasional viewer of ARRSE I see that they have also had a good clean up.

To me, it appears we have a new mod or two that are providing a very inconsistent service as pointed out by om15 amongst others. The mods seem to take particular delight in not replying to perfectly rational well-crafted questions from om15. Little wonder he is minded to leave when he is frequently accused of bleating when all he wants is a reply.

As for gallons of red ink – I’m in agreement to explain to all just what the mods object to rather than deletions and “lambing leave” which smacks of a certain Wobbie from TOP.

At times the mods replies can be taken as very sarcastic and/or deliberately provocative when answering a question about the return of UP from “lambing”, e.g. “Due back at 19:01 (Z) this joyous day”.

At other times they are either being deliberately obtuse or showing how little they know about their members when not being aware of Stacker – don’t they recall 4mastacker? – a formerly frequent and eloquent poster.

We have an increasing number of words one is not allowed to use including several that are in common usage to refer to weak or ineffectual persons. I thought I had a good handle on the vagaries of the English language but I had to look up the definitions of several to see that words that my family have used for generations could also be taken to be descriptions of female pudenda. Are we really that easily offended?

The use of asterisks seems futile when we all know exactly what the word is – yet for months we have had a prominent thread title with some asterisks that leave nothing to the imagination. Why do people feel the need to swear on a forum – surely it just shows the weakness in ones use of the English language.
I’ve been called all manner of names and never been offended. It’s their opinion, it doesn’t mean it’s correct.

People come and people go but personally, I’m pleased to see more tales from Reddo recently; to see that the fiercely intelligent and opinionated UP has returned to keep us updated on his First Ministers activities, and hope that om15 will remain.

Meanwhile enough of my ramblings and back to reading a book about one of Her Majesties finest jumping in his Landie and moving to a donkey infested island in the Med.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#182 Post by admin2 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:13 pm

Creme - now that you have joined in, can you summarise these 'perfectly rational well-crafted questions from om15' as I have not been able to see them? If you can I will attempt to answer them.

Thanks for explaining who 'stacker' is - I always knew him as '4ma'.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#183 Post by Dushan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:31 pm

TheGreenGoblin wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:57 pm
Whatever we do here, we have to work with the gaffer to "wake" this place up...

And if anybody mentions "woke" they will be beaten (like the Russians) to death!

;)))
There he goes attacking the Slavs, again!

Joking, joking, jooooooking!

Don’t punish him, he meant no real harm…
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

ribrash

#184 Post by ribrash » Sun May 01, 2022 7:56 am

The fishing site I moderate has 2500 members. I didn't set the site up so I don't know what it uses, but it automatically blocks all swear words,even if funny spellings and asterisks are used. It substitutes the word " Carp " for any swear word it blocks.

reddo
Capt
Capt

#185 Post by reddo » Sun May 01, 2022 8:50 am

I am one of the team that's supposed to keep this site running nicely for all to enjoy. I was asked to step up when Alison stepped down.
Running a site is very time consuming - hence there are a few of us.

Lots of debate goes on behind the scenes about what is acceptable and what is not. It is rare to find a site where literally anything goes.
No one wants to kick any one off. No one wants to censor folks. We received some complaints a while ago about gratuitous swearing. We felt we had to respond to it. There is no single person making the calls. We all do.

If Lemmy from Motorhead can curb his rather outrageous persona when required, surely we can?

That's all we're asking.

As for Slasher et al, rejoining. I doubt it while Alison is still here. He was incredibly disrespectful and rude to her.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#186 Post by Dushan » Sun May 01, 2022 11:40 am

reddo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:50 am

As for Slasher et al, rejoining. I doubt it while Alison is still here. He was incredibly disrespectful and rude to her.
Well, there you go. “Disrespectful and rude” gets got you banned. Now Then we know knew.

Admin2: Just tidied up for accuracy.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

johngreen
FO
FO

#187 Post by johngreen » Sun May 01, 2022 6:53 pm

Like possibly most folk in the world - this not a provable fact but a determination made from many decades of attentively studying the behaviour of human beings - I don't really give a tinkers dam about what anyone says, bad language etc, least of all on a forum that I can chose to pay attention to or ignore.

Regardless however, it is fairly clear and identifiable fact that the powers that be in numerous countries, the UK and Australia very much included, have established rules and regulations that place those holding various responsibilities for publications and websites in a potentially very vulnerable position with regard to being sued or prosecuted for what is presented in the public realm. As is frequently the subject of discussion in many realms - including here on ON - the domination over mature and intelligent discourse, albeit possibly somewhat threatening and uncomfortable, by the somnambulist woke, the overly sensitive snowflakes or just the masses of plain ignorant is creating a huge penalty upon those that desire growth, truth and understanding and very possibly doing enormous harm to the genuine development of humanity in general.

This however, is the state of play in this day and age; we are all affected by it and though we may wish to behave in a manner in total accordance with our own beliefs of how humanity should be, those that chose to do so are invariably not going to be easily accommodated. Nor is their bludgeoning behaviour likely to generate a great following - Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol-pot etc being exceptions whose endings prove the futility of their methods. Putin beware!

If Allison wishes ON to be restricted in a way that excludes extremes of language or comment whether for fear of potential litigation or just personal choice and approves of Admin2 as assistant, manager or deputy to follow suit (it seems that anyway, he personally is in comfortable agreement with the standards being applied) what possible justification can there be for anyone to complain - other than those who are very confident in demonstrating their own lack of care or consideration for others? And what consideration anyway are these same complainers showing for the personal time and effort that is being given, free of any charge, by those who maintain the fabric of the website?

If Dushan, Om and others wish to frequent a website that places no limits on what might be said or discussed, why don't they set up their own forum where they can speak freely and abuse themselves and others with the impunity that they feel to be appropriate. If this works well and great masses flock to their forum rather then this one, a few lessons can claim to have been learnt by various people and the instigators can celebrate their success.
If on the other hand, such an alternative doesn't flourish, or its lack of existence demonstrates such a personal investment proves to be beyond the ken of those who lay claim to its validity, other lessons will have been learnt.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#188 Post by Wodrick » Sun May 01, 2022 7:50 pm

As one of "them" I find that a grand post.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#189 Post by G-CPTN » Sun May 01, 2022 8:11 pm

I am reminded of an offshoot of PPrune called, I believe, Fight Club or something similar.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#190 Post by jimtherev » Sun May 01, 2022 10:59 pm

As another of the seven dim figures in the shadows, I agree with everything Reddo writes.

Several of us were getting a little fed up with a few people knowingly or unknowingly ignoring the rules we agreed to when joining the site.
I don't mind much about swearing or even provocative left- or right-wing statements if they're legal. But personal attacks really ain't on: surely none of us can applaud this.
Dear old boac happened to be the one, then, who stuck his head above the parapet and re-posted these rules. So he's the one who has been the butt of silliness and childish behaviour. He has however moved only after consulting with the rest of us.

From being a pleasant meeting place where we can exchange news and talk things through, the 'non-technical' area of the site has become a rather nasty little place on and off.

So, two questions:
Would anyone wish to explain why they believe that the rules we signed up to should be ignored, and
If you do actually agree that the rules are important, what do you think should happen to those who flaunt them?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#191 Post by Dushan » Mon May 02, 2022 12:37 am

Dushan wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:40 am
reddo wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 8:50 am

Well, there you go. “Disrespectful and rude” gets got you banned. Now Then we know knew.

Just tidied up for accuracy.
So now one can be disrespectful and rude to Alison and not get banned?

Mrs Ex-Ascot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#192 Post by Mrs Ex-Ascot » Mon May 02, 2022 5:20 am

Wodrick wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:50 pm
As one of "them" I find that a grand post.
+1 from another member of the team.

Also agree wholeheartedly with Reddo and Jimtherev.
RAF 32 Sqn B Flt ; Twin Squirrels.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#193 Post by admin2 » Mon May 02, 2022 7:03 am

Dushan - the rules you agreed to still apply.

ribrash

#194 Post by ribrash » Mon May 02, 2022 7:19 am

Would it be possible for any of the mods who splash the red ink to initial their post.Just so we know who we're dealing with.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#195 Post by admin2 » Mon May 02, 2022 8:21 am

All 'red ink' is from admin2. There are NO other 'mods' as was made clear to you in February viewtopic.php?f=23&t=7051#p325623 which you visited.

It is not considered necessary at the moment to have more 'mods' due to the size of the site.

I apologise for failing to annotate recent 'red' posts as such, and have now corrected those.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#196 Post by Dushan » Mon May 02, 2022 11:18 am

admin2 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:03 am
So what was the purpose, then, of changing my statement to past tense?

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#197 Post by jimtherev » Mon May 02, 2022 10:02 pm

Dushan wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:18 am
admin2 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 7:03 am
So what was the purpose, then, of changing my statement to past tense?
Past, present or future: how does such nitpicking improve matters? It doesn't matter, either, who started this silliness. How about we all work to finish it and get back to a reasonable site which gives due respect to all, including the guys who irritate some of us from time to time?

Have you considered answers to my questions in a previous post?
Would anyone wish to explain why they believe that the rules we signed up to should be ignored, and
If you do actually agree that the rules are important, what do you think should happen to those who flaunt them?

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#198 Post by Dushan » Mon May 02, 2022 11:38 pm

jimtherev wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:02 pm

Have you considered answers to my questions in a previous post?
Let me try, although I am skeptical it will be a satisfactory answer…

Just like when we received our DL we signed up to the rules of the road, yet we routinely ignore them and break them. Whether it’s speeding or parking longer than allowed we break the road rules all day long. Sometimes we get caught and pay the fine, and life goes on. Maybe we are a bit more careful for the next few days, and then, we go back to our usual self.

This is in an actual real life situation where physical objects, actual money, and real consequences are involved. Why would we not behave exactly the same in a virtual world where the only thing that is bruised is someone’s feeling?

This continuous whip cracking and spilling of red ink is ridiculous. The cops are not around every corner to catch speeders, metermaids are not on every corner handing out tickets one minute after the timer expires. Maybe the statement about having more mods than members on this forum is true. Idle hands and devils workshop come to kind…

As the saying goes “rules are for guidance of wise men, and strict following by fools”.

EA01
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#199 Post by EA01 » Tue May 03, 2022 6:58 am

Rather simply Dushan, I live in a country that imposes rules I do not agree with. If I want to ride a bicycle I need to wear a helmet. My pool needs to be fenced even though the property is fully fenced. Drink Driving limit is .05, I think this is too low. I accept these even though I don't agree with them. At the end of the day though the rules were the ones you (and all of us) signed up for, and transgressions are discussed I believe and the moderators collectively decide on a course of action.

The moderating team have my support 100%.

jimtherev
Station Padre
Station Padre

#200 Post by jimtherev » Tue May 03, 2022 9:51 am

This is sooooo boring, but Dushan (thank you, D) has replied, and I actually fully understand, and almost completely agree with his thesis.

I think it's fair to say that (with an exception or two) what he describes is the way things were ever since we started in these hallowed halls. However, a few people have made boundary-pushing a consumer-sport and it all became tedious in the extreme. It really would be nice if we could stop. Boac could get on with the rest of his life, and I could revert to well-deserved obscurity.

I too am against censorship as such: I'm pretty sure that Mr Hitler in his time would have had me in the pokey had I been a priest in Das Reich back in the 30/40s. Just holding me breff that such extreme govt attitudes will not soon obtain in the UK!

A vain hope?