The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

General Chit Chat
Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: The really boring and totally pointless snippets thread V

#8521 Post by Wodrick » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:10 am

Radar looks like El OFSO is getting damp right now.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8522 Post by OFSO » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:12 am

Un poc. Lots of thunder but we need a month's rain, not ten minutes.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8523 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:13 am

Bit murky here at Headcorn although the skydiving Cessna Caravan is fueled, out and ready to go.

Should clear up.
IMG-20220903-WA0000.jpg
Smells very agricultural today. Cows, chickens and sheep can be heard above the babble of the prospective meat bombs!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8524 Post by Wodrick » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:51 am

G'day,
27c guess 30c broken to the East, clear to the West. The sun looks to shine on an *Ibbie*

Provisions,then I think I will have a light fitting to put up if the shop is open.
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/ITORRO10?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

Groundgripper
Capt
Capt

#8525 Post by Groundgripper » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:33 am

Morning all.
Kodak classified 'cloudy bright' here on the Costa del Lancashire with showers and a temperature up to 22C predicted for later. Shortly off to see son, his partner and our 15 month old grandson which should provide an hour or so of entertainment with lots of crawling around on the floor for grandson and me to the despair of the grown-ups. #-o Then back home again to take the rest of the weekend off to recover. i-)

GG

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8526 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:37 am

Morning folks. Nice day. Spent a very stressful one and three quarter hours in a private clinic in town yesterday being screened for everything from distemper to cervical cancer. Mrs Ex-Ascot was monitoring all the results and all seems fine just awaiting blood results. Funny old thing I had high blood pressure. Of course I bloody did. We bought a pressure machine from them and nursie is taking it three times a day, all fine. Have to go back Monday for the results but we know most of them.

Safari camp for a few beers. Need to see what the new managers charge us. We did get mates rates.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8527 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:44 am

Didn't pay anything. Bar was dry, well sweet cider or wine. Came home. Not a good start for the new management.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8528 Post by OFSO » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:52 am

Diesel down to €1.59 a litre including government subsidy. Engine check light has come on twice since the car's three week holiday. Each time goes off and stays off for three or four days. Put some Wynns in the tank today to see if a clean makes a difference.

fin
Capt
Capt

#8529 Post by fin » Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:28 pm

OFSO wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:30 am
Five minutes rain last night, howling gale in the early hours, and 20° ish this morning. Radar app shows storms around. My friend in Fresno CA reports 44° right now. Not good.
Got caught out on the C versus F there. I actually pulled up the Metars of KFAT as I couldn't believe it was that close to freezing there.
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8530 Post by OFSO » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:19 pm

I hear IKEA is starting to wind down it's super stores and turn instead to small high-street shops and internet buying. The hell of wandering hopelessly around an IKEA mega store is thus replaced by the hell of sitting at home in front of your PC or smartphone trying to figure what is included with what. And IKEA wins again with delivery charges.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8531 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:52 pm

A interesting day from an aviation perspective what the the Southern Model show in all its pomp on at Headcorn with no visiting aircraft traffic allowed in and the buzz of every model type gyrating like a crazy swarm of angry bees over the western end of the field. No problem, just leave with a 3 knot tailwind on runway 10 and hack on up to 5000 feet between the towering cumulus and head on down to the South Coast to practise steep turns and autorotation's far from the frenetic whine, roar, hiss and howl of the ferocious model aircraft. All well and good but then on the way back in got stuck to the west of the field in the gathering clag, orbiting in marginal VFR, waiting for some parachutists to finish doing their thang overhead the field when an aircraft, radio silent, was spat out of the cumulus on an exact reciprocal path only some 200 to 300 feet feet below, both of us passing like ships in the night with me wondering about such rare moments of potentially malign fate that have occurred over the years and once on the ground I raised my hands to the divine manipulator in thanks, or was it supplication?

Once back I saw one of the most interesting aerobatics displays I have seen in years with an almost to scale model aircraft doing synchronized aeros with a pilot in a real Sukhoi, both with real smoke on. Two very skillful pilots of different types indeed! ^:)^

Interesting day.

Bottoms up.JPG
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8532 Post by Fox3WheresMyBanana » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:17 pm

Cessna Caravan - I've been on board for 57 takeoffs and zero landings :D

Sea King - zero takeoffs and 5 landings. Wessex, approx 20 more landings than takeoffs.

CharlieOneSix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8533 Post by CharlieOneSix » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:56 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:52 pm
....... and hack on up to 5000 feet between the towering cumulus......
5000 feet in a helicopter, let alone in a Robbie! :-o Back in RN days we were required to wear a parachute if we went above 3000ft on a test flight - seriously! In 1995 when the Merlin was still called the EH101 the occupants were very glad they wore parachutes - they were at around 12,000ft when the incident began. Three of the crew left the EH101 at about 10,000ft, while the pilot only bailed out at 1,200ft, having first tried to ensure that the helicopter would crash in clear ground.
The helicopter pilots' mantra: If it hasn't gone wrong then it's just about to...
https://www.glenbervie-weather.org

bob2s
Capt
Capt

#8534 Post by bob2s » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:15 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote: ↑Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:52 am

TGA, never knew they made step ladders that high! Robbie pilots for te use of. :D

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8535 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:19 am

CharlieOneSix wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:56 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 4:52 pm
5000 feet in a helicopter, let alone in a Robbie! :-o Back in RN days we were required to wear a parachute if we went above 3000ft on a test flight - seriously! In 1995 when the Merlin was still called the EH101 the occupants were very glad they wore parachutes - they were at around 12,000ft when the incident began. Three of the crew left the EH101 at about 10,000ft, while the pilot only bailed out at 1,200ft, having first tried to ensure that the helicopter would crash in clear ground.
C16, the R44 will project you, Icarus like, to a density altitude of 14000 feet, which amounts to much the same thing on the flattish and relatively cool South Coast, like it was yesterday, but if you did so you would break one of Frank Robinson's other tenets, delivered on tablets of stone, and forged, or rather baked, in the devious legal fire of prohibition! The Robinson R44 POH is a bit like that, with some some limitations that might worry one if one thought too long about them! ;)))

Frank Robinson Tables of Stone.JPG
Frank Robinson Tables of Stone.JPG (22.82 KiB) Viewed 366 times
Maybe the mandatory wearing of a parachute like you mention would be one way to avoid the 9000 feet operating limitation?

The only time I have seen parachutists exit a helicopter was way back in the 70's with a bunch of special operator types jumping out of a Super Frelon and then doing a HALO demo for an admiring crowd in Pretoria!

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8536 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:27 am

bob2s wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:15 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote: ↑Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:52 am

TGA, never knew they made step ladders that high! Robbie pilots for te use of. :D
bob2s G-JINT, is almost brand new, having just come out of her 50 hour check. She climbs like an angel, by just pitching for 60 knots and selecting 22 inches MAP with the throttle. With such gentle treatment she ascends at over 1100 feet per minute and would have continued doing so well past 5000 feet all way up to bust the local TMA. :-bd

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8537 Post by Karearea » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:38 am

A trip to the countryside today, very pleasant with a blue dome sky and around 19°C.
The "young green corn divinely springing" in some paddocks; cows, calves, sheep in others.
That distinctive smell of silage at times; buds and blossoms everywhere.
Good to take the car out at open-road speed, and also to drive on a few km of shingle road, instead of just pootling around town.
"And to think that it's the same dear old Moon..."

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8538 Post by OFSO » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:49 am

Ho hum, here we are plunging into September: still no real rain in sight. The French tourists have all returned home as there are restrictions here on showering. Next Friday is the annual Terra de Trobadors festival, and by popular acclaim I shall be wearing my prelate's costume and passing out Blessings to all and sindry.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#8539 Post by Hydromet » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:56 am

Mixture of cloud, rain, blue sky and cold wind her today. OFSO, please feel free to take as much rain as you want.
Had a good, long walk this morning, and was greeted by an eastern rosella, who has been making a name for himself by becoming very friendly with pedestrians and residents. He flies down and lands near you, or taps on house windows.
I love living here.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#8540 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:07 am

Morning folks. Nice day. Will go to the safari camp to see if they have any beer today but take our own if they don't. Against camp rules but what can one do?

Two booze boats yesterday afternoon but they speeded past our place. Let us see what today brings.