Departed During 2022

Lost forever.
FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2022

#261 Post by FD2 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:35 am

A sad way to go. A woman in a man's world back then.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Frank Robinson.

#262 Post by TheGreenAnger » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:11 am

Thanks to FD2 for posting this.

Frank Robinson passes away...

My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Departed During 2022 - Wilko Johnson

#263 Post by TheGreenAnger » Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:04 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... r-70s-rock

5616.jpg

Having cheated death once before it seems that old father time and not Milk and Alcohol, on which he did not play, got him in the end!

Canvey Island is truly a weird place!
My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#264 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Nov 26, 2022 5:36 pm

Irene Cara, Oscar-winning singer of 'Fame' and 'Flashdance' title tracks, dies at 63
“She was a beautifully gifted soul whose legacy will live forever through her music and films,” her publicist Judith A. Moose said in a statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ir ... -rcna58806

Irene Cara, the Oscar-winning musician best known for singing the title tracks to hit 1980s movies “Fame” and “Flashdance” has died, her publicist said Saturday.

She was 63.

“It is with profound sadness that on behalf of her family I announce the passing of Irene Cara,” her publicist Judith A. Moose said in a statement posted to Cara’s website and Twitter feed.

“The Academy Award winning actress, singer, songwriter and producer passed away in her Florida home. Her cause of death is currently unknown and will be released when information is available."

Moose said that releasing the news was “absolutely the worst part of being a publicist,” adding, “I can’t believe I’ve had to write this, let alone release the news.”

“She was a beautifully gifted soul whose legacy will live forever through her music and films,” Moose said.

Cara received a Golden Globe nomination for her performance as Coco Hernandez in the 1980 musical “Fame.” The movie's popularity spawned a TV show of the same name, which debuted on NBC in early 1982.

She later sang and co-wrote “Flashdance… What A Feeling” for the soundtrack of the 1983 blockbuster “Flashdance,” which starred Jennifer Beals as an aspiring dancer.

“Flashdance… What A Feeling” won for best original song at the 1984 Academy Awards.

That year's Oscars host, Johnny Carson, turned over the podium to presenters Beals and Matthew Broderick who named the winner.

“There aren’t enough words to express my love and my gratitude,” Cara told the Oscars audience, thanking her parents, collaborators and teachers.

“And last but not least, a very special gentlemen who I guess started it all for me many years ago. To ("Fame" director) Alan Parker, wherever you may be tonight, I thank him.”

Cara was back on the Oscars stage in 1986, performing "Here's to the Losers," in a moving tribute to the greatest movies that didn't win best picture.

Cara won two Grammy awards for the song, Best Album of Original Score Written for a Motion Picture or A Television Special, which she shared with other writers, and for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance.

She later appeared in films such as “D.C. Cab” and “City Heat” and various television shows. She also performed in live theater and musicals.

PP

ribrash

#265 Post by ribrash » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Doddie Weir.MND.Only 52.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#266 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:00 pm

ribrash wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:10 pm
Doddie Weir.MND.Only 52.
He attended one of the Autumn series matches this month in Edinburgh. He looked very frail. Motor Neurone Disease is a terrible thing.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/ ... es-aged-52

ribrash

#267 Post by ribrash » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:34 pm

TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:00 pm
ribrash wrote:
Doddie Weir.MND.Only 52.
He attended one of the Autumn series matches this month in Edinburgh. He looked very frail. Motor Neurone Disease is a terrible thing.

I recently lost a good fishing friend to it.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#268 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:04 am

ribrash wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:34 pm
TheGreenAnger wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:00 pm
ribrash wrote:
Doddie Weir.MND.Only 52.

I recently lost a good fishing friend to it.
Many years back I lost a friend to MND. He was only 34 and left a wife and 2 young kids. We celebrated his 34th birthday with a party two weeks before he died. I had reason to think of him last year as I was maintaining/rewriting some code for a client, the code having not been touched for some 26 years and there was his name. He had written the original program. The first time I have found poignancy in programming code I can tell you.

Pinky the pilot
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#269 Post by Pinky the pilot » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 am

TGA; That photo of Sue Baker sitting in what appears to be a 70's Formula 1 car; Can you supply any details?

Just curious.
You only live twice. Once when you're born. Once when you've looked death in the face.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#270 Post by TheGreenAnger » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:38 pm

Pinky the pilot wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:42 am
TGA; That photo of Sue Baker sitting in what appears to be a 70's Formula 1 car; Can you supply any details?

Just curious.
Pinky, the photo was taken in 1972 when Sue Baker was the Evening News Motoring Correspondent. It was taken during an interview with John Surtees who had set up his own racing team in 1970 and he gave her a chance to sit in the new F1 car and become acquainted with the controls. Surtees retired in 1972, as a driver, but had his greatest success as a constructor with Mike Hailwood winning the F2 Championship in 1972 for the team in a Surtees designed and built car.

I saw Rhodesian, John Love crash the earlier version of the Surtees F1 car into the barriers at Club House corner at Kyalami during a South African F1 race in 1971. He walked away bruised but unscathed.

John Love crashes at Club  House.JPG

South African Jody Scheckter literally destroyed all of Surtees' cars at Silverstone in 1973.

In the French Grand Prix Jody immediately impressed by taking the lead at the start. Then came a collision with Emerson Fittipaldi's Lotus, which sent the Scheckter McLaren somersaulting off the circuit and the reigning World Champion into a towering rage. This madman, fumed Fittipaldi, is a menace to himself and everybody else and does not belong in F1. The anti-Scheckter movement gained considerable momentum in his next race, the British Grand Prix at Silverstone. Jody had qualified sixth and was fourth on the opening lap when the crowded field of 28 cars converged on the 150 mile an hour Woodcote corner. The Scheckter McLaren went out of control and spun wildly through the middle of the pack before thumping hard into the cement wall in front of the Silverstone pits. As Jody clambered out of the smoking wreckage, completely unhurt, the chaos he had caused continued for some time. Great clouds of smoke and dust obscured the details but there were glimpses of cars flying through the air and bits of wreckage rained down over a considerable area. Mercifully, the only injury was a broken leg suffered by the Surtees driver Andrea de Adamich, but eight cars had been totally destroyed and Jody Scheckter was held responsible for causing the most massive Formula One accident of all time. The Grand Prix Drivers Association's demand for his immediate banishment was put off when McLaren agreed to "rest" its rash rookie.
I had the pleasure of seeing Scheckter secure his win in the BOAC Sunshine Formula Ford Series in 1970, with BOAC paying for him to race in the British Formula Ford Championship the following year. He went on ultimately to win the F1 World Championship for Ferrari.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Christine McVie ...

#271 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:03 pm

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#272 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:04 pm

Christine McVie, Fleetwood Mac singer-songwriter, dies at 79
“She was truly one-of-a-kind, special and talented beyond measure," the rock group said in a statement.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop ... -rcna59470

Christine McVie, the English musician whose smoky vocals and romantic lyrics helped catapult the rock group Fleetwood Mac to international success, died Wednesday, the band and her family announced on social media.

She was 79.

"There are no words to describe our sadness at the passing of Christine McVie," the group said in a statement posted on Twitter on Wednesday afternoon. "She was truly one-of-a-kind, special and talented beyond measure."

"She was the best musician anyone could have in their band and the best friend anyone could have in their life. We were so lucky to have a life with her," the band added. "Individually and together, we cherished Christine deeply and are thankful for the amazing memories we have. She will be so very missed."

In a statement on Instagram, McVie's family said she "passed away peacefully" surrounded by loved ones at a hospital after a "short illness."

"We kindly ask that you respect the family's privacy at this extremely painful time," the family said, "and we would like everyone to keep Christine in their hearts and remember the life of an incredible human being, and revered musician who was loved universally."

McVie was once married to Fleetwood Mac bass guitarist John McVie. The turmoil in their relationship was one of the creative engines behind the behind's massively popular album "Rumours," released in 1977.

Christine McVie penned some of the most cherished lines in the Fleetwood Mac songbook, writing the lyrics to global hits like "Everywhere," "Little Lies" and "Don't Stop" — a track that later became synonymous with Bill Clinton's first presidential campaign.

In her lyrics, she chronicled the highs and lows of love in simple but soulful terms. "You Make Loving Fun," one of the melodic high points of "Rumours" and a staple of Fleetwood Mac's tours, summed up the joyful abandon of romance.

In the 1970s, when Fleetwood Mac was at its commercial peak, the band sold tens of millions of records and soared into the pantheon of rock acts. Fans around the world were entranced by the transcendent melodies — and fixated on behind-the-scenes drama.

The breakup of the McVies — and the accompanying split of fellow singer-songwriters Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham — gave rise to "Rumours," a timeless joint diary of domestic dissolution and one of the bestselling albums of all time.

McVie retired from Fleetwood Mac in 1998, after the group was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

She rejoined the band in early 2014 for an electrifying world tour, reuniting with the "Rumours"-era incarnation of a group known for frequent lineup changes.

"First of all, to be in a band with another girl who was this amazing musician—she kind of instantly became my best friend," Nicks said of McVie in an article published in The New Yorker in February. "Christine was a whole other ballgame."

Christine Anne Perfect was born on July 12, 1943, in Birmingham, England, and showed a natural gift for the musical arts at a young age.

She got her professional start in 1967 with the British blues band Chicken Shack. She met and married John McVie after a brief courtship, then officially joined his band in 1970.

Christine McVie quickly became an integral member of Fleetwood Mac, adding dimension as a mesmerizing low alto singer, songwriter and keyboardist. McVie's early notable contributions include the tunes "Over My Head" and "Say You Love Me."

John and Christine McVie divorced in 1978, although they remained friends and stayed in the band together through beloved albums such as "Tusk" (1979) and "Mirage" (1982).

She was married a second time, to Eduardo "Eddy" Quintela, from 1986 to 2003.

McVie won two Grammy Awards out of seven total nominations, and in 2014 she earned a lifetime achievement honor from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#273 Post by Karearea » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:09 pm

Sorry to learn of this death.
Hearing those songs instantly transports one back in time.
And with the morn, those angel faces smile...

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#274 Post by PHXPhlyer » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:18 pm

Just reserved several of her solo CDs from the library.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#275 Post by llondel » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:41 pm

Damn. Saw the video and thought I'd clicked on the "soundtrack" thread by mistake. Sadly, I was wrong.

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#276 Post by TheGreenAnger » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:02 pm

Long time South African resident Brit, and well known and talented musician, David Ledbetter was killed in Bath on the 24th November. His album, Deep South - Heartland was sublime! RIP.
A 64-year-old man has been remembered as one of South Africa’s ‘finest musicians’ after he died in a collision last week.

David Leadbetter sadly died in a three-car road traffic collision in Bath on Thursday 24 November.

Police were called to Claverton Down Road at 7.24pm following the collision. He was taken to hospital where he later died.

Heartland

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/dave-ledbe ... on-hawkins

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Kirstie Alley

#277 Post by TheGreenAnger » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:11 am

Kirstie Alley, an actor best known for her role in the sitcom Cheers, has died at the age of 71, according to her family.
“Our mother’s zest and passion for life, her children, grandchildren and her many animals, not to mention her eternal joy of creating, were unparalleled and leave us inspired to live life to the fullest just as she did,” her family wrote on Twitter.

Alley was surrounded by loved ones at the Moffit Cancer Center in Florida in her final moments, they said.

Alley’s Look Who’s Talking co-star John Travolta paid tribute to the actor in a statement on Monday.

“Kirstie was one of the most special relationships I’ve ever had,” he wrote on Instagram. “I love you Kirstie. I know we will see each other again.”

In her later years, Alley claimed she was “blackballed” by Hollywood for her conservative views and support for Donald Trump.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 39602.html

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#278 Post by FD2 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:47 am

Two of the funniest sitcoms from America - Cheers and Frasier. Nowadays they just seem to be crap, like UK ones too. Too PC to be funny.

Alley was brilliant, as were they all.

admin2
Capt
Capt

#279 Post by admin2 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:08 am

TheGreenAnger
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#280 Post by TheGreenAnger » Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:36 am

Formidable Aussie lady...

In memory of her, and her husband who was also sadly killed in a car crash.