Rant of the Day v2.

General Chit Chat
PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Rant of the Day v2.

#7441 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:28 pm

Boac:
Thanks for the not very encouraging assessment.
I don't have the patience nor place to work on it (1100F) OAT.
Don't know where best to take it; garage, body shop, or possibly car audio installer.
I will go back to parts store as the asst. manager was very caring and told me to check back with him if I had further problems.

PP

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7442 Post by OFSO » Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:30 pm

Just undo the battery negative lead and check the amps/miliamps.. If none it's a bad battery (it does happen if rarely). If some, must be a big consumer. Overnight? 'Big' as in easy to spot.
On my Fords the fuse box is somewhere behind the glovebox and hard of access. Easier to get it plugged in at the main dealer and run a diagnosis.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7443 Post by Pontius Navigator » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:08 pm

PHX, how long between charge and flat?

I recall an issue back in the 60s. We had a flight of 4 Vulcan sitting in Gan for a week. We had flat batteries and they could not be charged in situ because of the high temps. We 'borrowed' a battery from a passing Comet and recharged each of our batteries in the air conditioned battery store.

I just wonder if a thermal cutout might be a cause.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7444 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:10 pm

PN
Overnight both times.

PP

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7445 Post by llondel » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:17 pm

ExSp33db1rd wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:00 am
My electric key can unlock the drivers door mechanically if it fails elecrically, as in the old days, but that doesn't unlock the boot lid of course. What is more frustrating under normal conditions is that when electrically commanding all doors, including the boot, to unlock whilst approaching the car with the Supermarket trolley, is that if taking more than 30 secs. to load the boot, all the other doors relock, so that whilst taking the trolley to the nearest trolley park, Mrs. ExS is furiously trying to open a door to get into the car, and accuses me " You didn't bother to unlock the doors, don't you ever consider me ?"
Trap for the unwary here - unlock the car, open the back to place shopping in back of car. Finding keys in hand, put just inside the tailgate to free up both hands for loading. Next, close the tailgate, go to open driver's door, only to find that it timed out and locked itself. Now where did you put the keys...?

I try not to put the keys down in the vehicle, and have gotten into the habit, if I'm planning on getting into the car, of opening a door to keep them unlocked while I do what's necessary at the back. Even better with the minivan, I can remotely open one of the sliding doors, which means I don't have to detour if carrying/pushing a heavy load.

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7446 Post by Hydromet » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:12 pm

PHXPhlyer wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:28 pm
Boac:
Thanks for the not very encouraging assessment.
I don't have the patience nor place to work on it (1100F) OAT.
Don't know where best to take it; garage, body shop, or possibly car audio installer.
I will go back to parts store as the asst. manager was very caring and told me to check back with him if I had further problems.

PP
Your friendly parts bloke will probably know a good auto electric place nearby. Usually, there are some mobile auto electricians around too. Good luck. Personally, I consider this electrickery stuff to be all white man's magic.

Wodrick
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7447 Post by Wodrick » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:25 pm

EiE.

ExSp33db1rd
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7448 Post by ExSp33db1rd » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:35 am

llondel, ( 7444 )

Yes, I long ago realised that if I left the keys in the car I could find myself locked out.

A million years ago you could buy a magnetic key carrying case to place in a wheel well, or some handy place, but I guess the local car thieves would be on to that now, on top of which a replacement for one of today's electronic keys probably costs more than my 15 year old car, which in itself is still going strong, so why change it. Appearance means nothing to me, don't give a stuff what it looks like, it's a tool not a status symbol.

Hydromet ( 74445 )....Quote ...." Personally, I consider this electrickery stuff to be all white man's magic." I agree, it would be nice if the speedometer, which now only occasionally displays anything, would at least show the mileage on command. I'm resorted to noting the current value on the few occasions when it's presented to me for a few minutes, before it auto. switches ( a fault of course ) to some other pointless info. before resuming its blank visage. If I eventually send the car to the wreckers it won't matter, but if I have to persuade some sucker to buy my old car it would be nice to be able to prove my logbook entries are genuine at the time of sale.

My Man Wot Does has unsuccessfully attempted to cure the fault, but now reasonably suggests that I don't waste more money than the car is worth to buy a mass of replacment elecktrickery from Honda. For now the engine turns when commanded, so I'll live with it a bit longer.

Should have kept my Father's 1935 Morris 8 when he sold it in 1946, but I was only about 12 at the time, or my own 1962 Morris Minor Convertible, which I bought new for £630, and have recently seen one for sale in California for $30,000 asking price !

We'd all play Life differently. ( I think ?)

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7449 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:14 am

I started a new job as a foreign-based International Sales Engineer, and my first trip was to drive to the port and take the North Sea Ferry (to the UK) for a meeting with the customer.
I arrived in good time, and decided to take a stroll, removing my jacket and placing it neatly in the boot (with the car keys in a pocket).

When it became time for embarkation I informed the 'Stevedore', who calmly produced a wire coathanger and soon had access to the car (which, fortunately, had central locking), so disaster was avoided.

The documents for the emergency breakdown help service were, of course, in the glove compartment, safely locked in the car!

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7450 Post by OFSO » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am

Everything in my Ford wheel wells, plus the front 'wings' and tailgate and the rear panels and underdoor strips is made of some kind of plastic. So much for a magnetic key box to conceal somewhere... Glue on back of numberplate?

Hydromet
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7451 Post by Hydromet » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:13 am

During a stressful week at woodwork school I locked my keys in the car...twice. he same emergency service bloke came each time. One red face.

1DC
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7452 Post by 1DC » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:16 am

In the early sixties I locked my keys in my Vauxhall Velox in the car park of the Ferry Inn South Shields.Upon telling my woes to the bar maid she just said I will see if Willy is about, five minutes later Willy turned up with a bit of wire and two minutes later I had my keys back.Willy wouldn't even take a drink for doing it, he fancied his chances with the bar maid and reckoned that the fact he had made one of her customers happy would stand him in good stead at closing time..

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7453 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:00 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:16 am
Everything in my Ford wheel wells, plus the front 'wings' and tailgate and the rear panels and underdoor strips is made of some kind of plastic. So much for a magnetic key box to conceal somewhere... Glue on back of numberplate?
Failing that, the other trick was putting the keys on top of the wheel. SiL said she would do that for MiLs keys. Got there, found gap between top of wheel and body work was about 4 inches.

I guess it was OK on a DS21

llondel
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7454 Post by llondel » Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:58 pm

I've watched a professional gain access to a car. Pull/lever the top corner of the door out far enough to insert a small airbag, which is then inflated enough to provide a gap between door and body large enough get a fibreglass pole inside, then fish around until the door lock switch is activated. Owner then opens door, grabs keys and silences the alarm.

OFSO
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7455 Post by OFSO » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:26 pm

Can't you train the dogs to open the van door from inside....

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7456 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:14 pm

Procured two new key fobs for D#'s car yesterday. All buttons on one fob totally gone and only two out of five extant on the other. As received from seller.
Took three tries:
#1: Local retiree whose side hustle is specialized to replacing fobs. Original plan was to replace fob cases and keep the guts and switchblade key. Failure as his cases weren't an exact match.
#2: I ordered new fobs of Amazon which were supposed to be a match. Weren't. Returned to Amazon.
#3: He ordered from his supplier which he knew to be correct but at much higher cost than Amazon.
These he cut switchblade with his app controlled specialized machine, and after testing these in door and ignition, proceeded to program the key fobs to the car with more techno stuff.
$150 total. Less than the cost of one from a dealership! #:-S

Still searching for the short that is draining the battery overnight. Parts store suggested pulling fuses individually and testing for current across fuse socket. Pulled cover off fuse box to reveal ~ 60 fuses and/or open sockets plus a dozen or so modules.
Way more than I want to attempt. [-X
Now searching for available shop with electrical expertise. :-ss :((

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7457 Post by Karearea » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:19 pm

Some years ago, had travelled with several other people to an evening event in Christchurch.
Driver realised he had locked the keys in the car but summoned AA roadside assistance, whose man arrived promptly, and easily unlocked the car.
We all took our seats, and driver inserted key in ignition and it broke off - just as AA man's tail-lights were disappearing down the street.
Further wait for locksmith.
Was a long night.
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7458 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:34 pm

OFSO wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:26 pm
Can't you train the dogs to open the van door from inside....
That is how we were shown how to break in after the dog locked all 4 doors. Our instructor was the wife of the owner of a furniture shop we were visiting.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7459 Post by PHXPhlyer » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:52 pm

Broke down and called the garage.
They claim to have some electronic gizmo that can analyze electrical system to find the fault. :-?
Not able to get it in until Monday morning.
Fingers crossed and wallet puckering. :-s :-ss

PP

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#7460 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:55 pm

Is this not just the standard fit onboard socket that you (yes, even you) cab plug-in a 'reader' that will download events?

OBD2 or something . . .

https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/ob ... mple-intro