A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Millions of us might be **** if we ignore the Russian-Ukraine war

#4961 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:08 pm

Boac wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2023 9:53 am
Some more 'news' of the event. https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-new ... l-30626226
I love it. The Mirror says: The Suvorovets anti-sabotage boat, when it is actually a Sverdlovsk class cruiser.

Mikhail Kutuzov Михаил Кутузов Nikolayev 23 February 1951 29 November 1952 30 February 1954 Museum ship Named after Russian field marshal Mikhail Illarionovich Kutuzov. Museum ship at Novorossiysk

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4962 Post by Boac » Fri Aug 04, 2023 8:25 pm

Do we know if Rivet Joint can offer broadband or other data coverage for those areas where Mr Musk is declining to provide Starlink?

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4963 Post by PHXPhlyer » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:11 pm

Ukrainian drones hit sanctioned Russian tanker in second sea attack in a day
A source from Ukraine's security service told NBC News the ship was transporting fuel to Russian troops.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/russ ... -rcna98307

A Russian tanker under U.S. sanctions was hit by Ukrainian drone near a strategic bridge in the Kerch Strait that links Russia to the annexed Crimean peninsula, Kremlin officials said Saturday.

The “Sig” was damaged with a hole “near the waterline on the starboard side, presumably as a result of a sea drone attack” Russia’s Federal Agency for Marine and River Transport said in a statement posted to its Telegram channel. There were no casualties, it added.

There was no immediate public claim of responsibility by Kyiv, which usually refrains from taking credit for attacks on Russian soil, but a source in Ukraine’s Security Service, the SBU, told NBC News that it “blew up a large oil tanker of the Russian Federation,” in a joint operation with the navy.

The tanker was “transporting fuel for the Russian troops,” the source said, adding that it was well loaded and “the ‘fireworks’ could be seen from afar.” They said that a surface drone and TNT had been used to carry out the attack. NBC News could not verify their claims.

Video broadcast on Ukrainian television and shared by several officials on social media showed a sea drone moving towards the tanker before striking it. The footage cuts out before an explosion is visible. NBC News was not able to independently verify the footage.

SBU chief Vasyl Malyuk responded to the attack in a Telegram post. “Any explosions that happen with the ships of the Russian Federation or the Crimean bridge is an absolutely logical and effective step in relation to the enemy,” he said.

“If the Russians want the explosions to stop, they should use the only option for this — to leave the territorial waters of Ukraine,” he added.

Oleksiy Danilov, the secretary of Ukraine's Security and Defense Council also appeared to reference the attack, which came a day after his country's security services said they had carried out a drone strike on a Russian navy ship.

“With each new combat mission, Ukrainian combat UAVs and naval drones become more accurate, operators more experienced, combat coordination more effective, and manufacturers get opportunities to improve tactical and technical characteristics,” he said in a post on Twitter.

Elsewhere, Vladimir Rogov, a Russian-installed official in Zaporizhzhia in southern Ukraine, said on his Telegram channel that several crew members were slashed by broken glass in the attack. The tanker had been supplying oil to Russian troops in Syria, he said.

Photographs uploaded by Rogov in a separate post showed what he said was the inside of the tanker which had windows blown in, damaged ceilings and office furniture strewn about.

Later, Russia’s Novorossiysk Maritime Rescue Coordination Center was cited by the RIA Novosti news agency as saying that recovery work was underway on the Sig with two tugboats nearby. Water had stopped pouring into the ship, it said. There was no fuel spill as the ship had been carrying only technical ballast, the statement added.

The attack briefly halted traffic on the Crimean Bridge, and ferry transport was suspended for several hours, according to Russian-installed authorities in the area, which Russia illegally annexed from Ukraine in 2014.

The U.S. sanctioned the tanker and its owner, St. Petersburg-based company Transpetrochart, a marine freight company, for helping to provide jet fuel in Syria in 2019.

Both Russia and Ukraine have stepped up attacks in the Black Sea since Moscow exited a deal allowing the safe export of Ukrainian grain in July.

On Friday, Ukraine carried out a sea drone strike on a ship near the Russian Black Sea port of Novorossiysk. Russia claimed to have thwarted a wider attack on the port, with drones destroyed by ships guarding the base’s outer boundary.

But videos circulating online showed the Olenegorsky Gornyak, a Soviet-era warship, being towed back to the port after a Ukrainian intelligence source said it had been damaged in the attack.

NBC News was able to confirm that videos were filmed in Novorossiysk and showed the same class of warship as the Olenegorsky Gornyak, using marine ship tracking data and satellite imagery.

On Wednesday, Russian drone strikes on the port cities of Odesa and Izmail caused significant damage and fires at facilities key to grain exports.

Odesa, a sea and transport hub and major cultural center, has been hammered by strikes in recent weeks, with dozens of drones and missile attacks targeting sea and river ports.

Ukraine is a major supplier of wheat, corn, vegetable oil and other agricultural products important to the Middle East, Africa and parts of Asia where people are struggling with high food prices and hunger.

Though the nation can also export by road and rail through Europe, those routes are more costly than going by the Black Sea and have stirred divisions among nearby countries.

PP

Karearea
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Was a Kiwi hero executed in Ukraine?

#4964 Post by Karearea » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:45 pm

I remember the exact moment when I heard how Christchurch scientist and humanitarian aid worker Andrew Bagshaw had really died.

In early March, I was about one month into researching my book about Bagshaw’s extraordinary work in Ukraine. The official story was that Bagshaw, 47, and a British colleague named Chris Parry, 28, had been accidentally killed in the eastern Ukrainian city of Soledar while trying to rescue an elderly woman.

It was to have been one of hundreds of evacuations by Bagshaw since his arrival in Ukraine in April 2022. From July on, he worked as part of a loose group of largely international volunteers based in the eastern city of Kramatorsk. Some, like Parry, were British. Others were from the US, Canada, Australia, Poland, the Netherlands and Germany. They got stragglers out of cities and villages in the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine before the advancing Russians moved in.

The volunteers funded their work with donations, paid for their own vehicles and resources and often reached out to the wider world by posting dramatic clips of their rescues on social media apps like YouTube and Instagram – although that wasn’t really Bagshaw’s style. He was unusual in the group as someone who didn’t seek attention and resisted the limelight.

This volunteer culture seemed unique to me. They were not foreign fighters but freelance aid workers who went into places the big aid organisations stayed away from. In some cases they took risks even soldiers were not comfortable taking.

So the story was that Bagshaw and Parry drove to Soledar on the cold morning of January 6 to rescue an elderly woman – they would use the Russian term, a “babushka” – and drive her to safety.

But after leaving for Soledar, Bagshaw and Parry were not seen again. They were considered missing until their deaths were finally confirmed a fortnight later.

In the official version, their car, a black Land Rover belonging to Parry, was hit directly by a Russian artillery shell. They would have been killed immediately. That story gave an impression that their deaths were as close as possible to accidental. Perhaps they were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time? Or caught in the crossfire? Or their car was mistaken for an enemy vehicle?

But the truth was much worse than that.

I came across a story in a small British daily newspaper, the Oxford Mail. I had set a daily Google Alert for Bagshaw’s name, which usually meant I saw notices about the same story published again and again, in Polish or Italian or Vietnamese. But this was different.

The story, headlined “Inquest opened in death of Briton killed in Ukraine war”, was a report from the Oxford Coroner’s Court.

It said Parry and Bagshaw “were trying to rescue a woman in the war zone when their car was hit by shelling”. Again, the official story.

But then, only a couple of lines later: “Oxford Coroner’s Court heard that a post-mortem had found the cause of Mr Parry’s death to be gunshot wounds to the head and torso. His body was identified at the John Radcliffe Hospital on February 20 by a forensic odontologist, using dental records.”

I felt sick as I read those words. Obviously a gunshot wound to the head was not caused by artillery from a long distance away. It pointed to a deliberate killing, an execution – one that had all the hallmarks of the Wagner Group, the notorious Russian mercenaries who took control of Soledar. Wagner Group defectors said they had a brutal policy of killing everyone they encountered.

Parry’s body was returned to the UK for a second post-mortem, but Bagshaw was cremated in Kyiv. Yet, as Bagshaw’s father, Phil, told me during one of our subsequent interviews, the death certificate produced in Kyiv described his cause of death as a gunshot wound. He also learned that a criminal investigation has been launched into his son’s death by Ukrainian authorities.
Russia’s war crimes

If we call Bagshaw and Parry’s deaths war crimes what, if anything, can the British and New Zealand governments do about it? Their deaths are on the appallingly long list of war crimes committed by the Russians since they invaded Ukraine in February 2022. People may remember hearing about Bucha, near Kyiv, where hundreds of civilians and prisoners of war were tortured and killed, or the bombing of civilians hiding in a theatre in Mariupol, or the shelling of the train station in Kramatorsk as refugees tried to flee to the west.

As if in an act of defiance, Bagshaw and his Polish friend Grzegorz Rybak posed outside the same train station months later. After Bagshaw died, Rybak told me from his home in Scotland, “Sad didn’t cover it. It was devastating.”

What does the likely involvement of the Wagner Group mean for future attempts to prosecute a war crime? It has been said that the mercenaries gave Russia plausible deniability. In other words, they could do Russia’s dirty work while at arm’s length from the state.

Parry’s body was returned to the UK for a second post-mortem, but Bagshaw was cremated in Kyiv. Yet, as Bagshaw’s father, Phil, told me during one of our subsequent interviews, the death certificate produced in Kyiv described his cause of death as a gunshot wound. He also learned that a criminal investigation has been launched into his son’s death by Ukrainian authorities.

The true story of Parry’s death is also becoming more widely known. When the BBC announced in June that it had commissioned a documentary about Parry, the announcement explicitly stated he was shot dead by the Wagner Group, and British media has reported that an inquest into Parry’s death will start in September. That might answer further questions about what happened to both men in Soledar on January 6 and during the days after.

But others have said that Russian President Vladimir Putin’s admission in June that Russia paid the Wagner Group more than 86 billion rubles (NZ$1.4b) in one year alone could make it easier to bring a case against Russia.

Bagshaw is one of three New Zealanders who have been killed in Ukraine. The other two, Dominic Abelen and Kane Te Tai, died in combat. Te Tai wrote a very moving letter that was widely shared after his death, and appeared to express peace about the possibility he may not see home again.

“I enjoyed myself here,” he wrote. “I’ve learnt to live and love here. I have fallen in love with the people, the country. I came out here not fully knowing what I was getting myself into, but now I am here and five months on, my resolve has only grown stronger.”

He found a new sense of meaning and an identification with the Ukrainian people. That identification was also common among the volunteers, including Bagshaw, who found a new sense of purpose.

They related to Ukraine’s defiant spirit, its underdog status, its determination. They recognised that which was tragic about Ukraine, as expressed by US historian Timothy Snyder, who said “the first thing to know about Ukraine is that the 21st century has given Ukraine a chance. And now Ukraine is facing a war whose aggressor seeks to take that chance away.”

Who knows what the outcome will be. Is it possible for Ukraine to win, and take back all of the Donbas and Crimea? And to then join Nato? This is the ending most of the world hopes for. But what kind of instability would then follow in Russia?

In the meantime, Bagshaw must be remembered for more than just the tragic way he died. The possible war crime is not dwelt on in The Quiet Hero, but instead his motivations are emphasised, along with his personality and the qualities his friends and family talked about – his intelligence, his sensitivity, his scientific genius and his affinity for the suffering of people and animals.

He clearly had a moral sensibility. Talking openly about morality makes many of us uncomfortable but what I found among the volunteers was a drive that was quasi-religious and sometimes openly religious. It seemed fitting that Bagshaw was honoured at a solemn and beautiful Ukrainian Orthodox service in Kyiv.

British journalist John Sweeney attended the service and set the tone for the entire book when he said afterwards, “You can say what’s the point of dying in somebody else’s war? And I would say something different to that. I would say, to die helping other people, it’s the noblest death of all.”

When I contacted him, Sweeney generously offered to write a foreword for the book, in order to say what he wished he had said at the service. Like me, Sweeney never got to meet Bagshaw but he was impressed by his story.

One early reader of the book was reminded of philosopher Peter Singer’s famous thought experiment about the drowning child. If you are walking past a drowning child, do you have an obligation to rescue them? Of course you do. Then surely you have the same obligation for someone further away, in another country.

Bagshaw might have encountered that idea as a philosophy student. It is a story about what it means to be part of the human race.

And finally there is poetry. Early in my research, I came across a poem by Ukrainian poet Ilya Kaminsky, titled We Lived Happily during the War. It was cited as inspirational by US volunteer Brad Hendrickson, and it seemed to get to the core of the urgency felt by Bagshaw and others, and their sorrow as people in more comfortable places just watched as Ukrainians were killed and a country was destroyed.

And when they bombed other people’s houses, we

protested

but not enough, we opposed them but not

enough.
Full article and photos at link:

https://www.thepress.co.nz/a/nz-news/35 ... uff_skybox
Around the world thoughts shall fly In the twinkling of an eye

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4965 Post by Boac » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:29 pm

THe Telegraph says that Ukr drones destroyed two Tu-22 bombers at a Russian airbase.

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4966 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:12 pm

Purports to show the bomber(s) ablaze...

www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/22/u ... nic-bomber
A drone appears to have destroyed a supersonic Russian bomber on an airfield hundreds of kilometres from Ukraine, British military intelligence has said, the latest in a string of successful assaults on prestige infrastructure and military hardware.

These attacks, far beyond the frontlines, are powerful propaganda for Ukraine, though Kyiv rarely claims them directly. Hits on key assets, which are meant to be heavily guarded by the latest technology, is highly damaging to morale in Russia, even if they do not change the balance of forces on the battlefield.

The latest attack was “highly likely” to have destroyed a Tu-22M3 Backfire bomber jet at the Soltsy-2 airbase, 400 miles (650km) from the border with Ukraine, on 19 August, British military intelligence said in a regular update on the war.

Social media images showed an aircraft that resembled the Tu-22M3 in flames on a runway. The planes have been used regularly in campaigns that killed civilians in Ukraine, including dropping unguided missiles on Mariupol during an intense bombing campaign at the start of Russia’s invasion.

In January this year, a Tu-22M3 was probably used to launch a heavy anti-ship missile at a block of flats in Dnipro. “This is at least the third successful attack on long-range aviation airfields, again raising questions about Russia’s ability to protect strategic locations deep inside the country,” the statement said.

Adding to Russian humiliation, the attack may have been launched inside the country. Russia’s defence ministry said on Saturday that an aircraft in Novgorod region, where the Soltsy-2 airbase is located, was hit by a drone, causing a fire that damaged one plane.

The “copter-style” drone mentioned by Moscow was unlikely to have the range to fly there from outside the country, British military intelligence said. “This adds weight to the assessment that some UAV [drone] attacks against Russian military targets are being launched from inside Russian territory.”

Previous high-profile targets included the Moskva cruiser, the flagship of the Black Sea fleet, which was sunk last year, and the Kerch bridge linking Crimea to Russia, a personal project of Vladimir Putin that has been damaged twice.

Ukrainian drone strikes deep inside Russia have increased in recent months, with Moscow a regular target. On Monday, one disrupted flights in and out of the capital on Monday, and injured two people when it was shot down by Russian air defences.

There was no official comment from the government on the destruction of the jet, with authorities wary of commenting on sophisticated sabotage operations or antagonising western allies who are more openly comfortable with supporting defensive military operations.

Senior officials often make barely veiled suggestions of links to the attacks, however. Andriy Yusov, the deputy head of Ukraine’s military intelligence, mocked Russian attempts to downplay the destruction of the jet and other drone attacks.

“It was probably just some big pigeons that dropped something on those Tu-22M3 aircraft,” he said on national TV. “In Moscow, there are no explosions, their airports and flights are probably operating according to schedule, there are no changes. In general, everything is going according to plan.”

The New Voice of Ukraine reported that Ukrainian drones had damaged five planes in recent days.

Citing Ukrainian intelligence, known as the GUR, it reported that the Tu-22M3 was “destroyed” on Saturday and that two other aircraft were damaged. Two days later, on Monday, two bomber planes in Kaluga were damaged, “as a result of an attack by drones controlled by GUR saboteurs”.

At least two people were injured on Monday when parts of a Ukrainian drone destroyed by Russian air defences fell on a house in the Moscow region, the regional governor said. Arrivals and departures from Moscow’s four main airports – Vnukovo, Domodedovo, Sheremetyevo and Zhukovsky – were restricted, disrupting 45 passenger planes and two cargo planes, the Russian aviation authority said.

The governor of Kaluga region, south of Moscow, said a drone attack had also been repelled there.
The observer of fools in military south and north...

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4967 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:14 pm

Has Fox3 been captured by the enemy? The once prolific, and often very interesting, poster here, has gone AWOL!

admin2
Capt
Capt

#4968 Post by admin2 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:32 pm

We hope he has not been nobbled by the wildfires!

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4969 Post by OneHungLow » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:37 pm

admin2 wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:32 pm
We hope he has not been nobbled by the wildfires!
Oh dear, he was situated near some of that fiery carnage wasn't he? I hope that he and his property have not been affected.

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#4970 Post by Dushan » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:00 pm

He is in PEI. I don't think there are any fires there.
But Trudeau and his band of clowns are meeting in Charlottetown this week so maybe he went to watch the circus.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

k3k3
Capt
Capt

#4971 Post by k3k3 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:38 pm

Prigozhin may have died in an air crash:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66599733

Dushan
Capt
Capt

#4972 Post by Dushan » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:13 pm

Just a different version of a window to fall out of.
Because they stand on the wall and say "nothing's gonna hurt you tonight, not on my watch".

admin2
Capt
Capt

#4973 Post by admin2 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:17 pm

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4974 Post by Alisoncc » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:41 pm

k3k3 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:38 pm
Prigozhin may have died in an air crash:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66599733
Oh dear, so sad. Do object to aviation being used in this manner, to eliminate Poo-tins discards.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4975 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:04 am

S-400 missile system and its Russian operators go up in smoke. Oh dear, never mind!

https://cdn.jwplayer.com/previews/x9OEHbns

Woody
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4976 Post by Woody » Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:25 am

That certainly looks like a very large RUD :-o
When all else fails, read the instructions.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4977 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:32 pm

Dushan wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 6:13 pm
Just a different version of a window to fall out of.
Highest window Putin could find. :-o :ymdevil:

PP

OneHungLow
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4978 Post by OneHungLow » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:10 pm

Wagner has effectively been decapitated. That all the top hierarchy would fly in one aircraft beggars belief. That they were hubristic is clear, that they are dead is good news. Let the Russian barbarians kill each other and let's await the glorious day when Putin's severed bullet head is mounted publicly for the world to see.

PHXPhlyer
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Ukrainian Armed Forces gets Mi-8

#4979 Post by PHXPhlyer » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:25 pm

Russian pilot defected to Ukraine in his helicopter, says Ukrainian official

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/24/europe/r ... index.html

A top Ukrainian official has detailed for the first time how a Russian helicopter pilot defected by flying his Mi-8, along with unsuspecting crew members, to Ukraine.

In an interview with Radio Liberty, which is set to air later this week, the head of the Ukrainian Defense Intelligence, Kyrylo Budanov, described how the incident unfolded.

“We were able to find the right approach to the man,” he told the news outlet.

“We were able to create conditions to get his whole family out undetected, and eventually create the conditions so that he could take over this aircraft with a crew that did not know what was happening.

“Two more people were with him - a full crew of three persons in total. When they realized where they had landed, they tried to escape. Unfortunately, they were eliminated. We would prefer (to take) them alive, but it is what it is.”

Budanov added: “The pilot feels great, everything is fine. He has two options, but he is leaning towards staying here.”

“No one has done this before, but I hope we can now scale it up.”

CNN has not confirmed whether the defection did take place, as described.

One unofficial Russian Telegram channel had reported that an Mi-8 helicopter had flown into Ukraine and landed in the central region of Poltava by mistake.

Another said it had diverted to the Ukrainian town of Vovchansk just across the Russian border in Kharkiv, which would be more likely than flying all the way to central Ukraine.

The Russian Telegram Voenniy Osvedomitel said Ukrainian intelligence had lured the pilot to Ukrainian territory and that the helicopter was carrying spare parts for Su-30SM and Su-27 fighters. It also reported the deaths of the other two crew members as they tried to escape.

Ukrainian journalist Yuriy Butusov, who has well-established contacts in the Defense Ministry, said the Mi-8 had flown to a Ukrainian base. He reported that “the helicopter is fully intact and will be added to the Ukrainian Armed Forces after a detailed examination of its equipment.”

PP

tango15
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#4980 Post by tango15 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:37 pm

Some reports that it was carrying a significant amount of spares, which if true, would be a very useful bounty for the Ukes.