Aretha

General Chit Chat
BenThere
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Aretha

#1 Post by BenThere » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 pm

I've been watching the tributes, funeral and wall-to-wall local coverage of the death of Aretha Franklin, today.

As a Detroit native, like me, Aretha was and is central to the identity of the city. Her soaring voice, strong theatrics and decent core that mostly only some of us locals know about, are all indelible. A great talent and person. RIP, Aretha; you will be missed.

Detroit has produced a lot of musical talent like The Supremes, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, Eminem, Bob Seger, Madonna and others, but Aretha was the indisputable Queen of Soul. I was touched, watching the ceremony, how many A listers travelled to Detroit to pay tribute at the funeral.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Re: Aretha

#2 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:31 pm

I always think that it's a shame that the departed cannot attend their final curtain call - it would mean so much to the mourners, and, no doubt, the departed too.

Cacophonix
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#3 Post by Cacophonix » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:34 pm

BenThere wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:11 pm
I've been watching the tributes, funeral and wall-to-wall local coverage of the death of Aretha Franklin, today.

As a Detroit native, like me, Aretha was and is central to the identity of the city. Her soaring voice, strong theatrics and decent core that mostly only some of us locals know about, are all indelible. A great talent and person. RIP, Aretha; you will be missed.

Detroit has produced a lot of musical talent like The Supremes, The Temptations, The Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, Eminem, Bob Seger, Madonna and others, but Aretha was the indisputable Queen of Soul. I was touched, watching the ceremony, how many A listers travelled to Detroit to pay tribute at the funeral.

Amen to all that and thank goodness for Motown and Aretha Fraknlin...

Caco

Slasher

#4 Post by Slasher » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:44 am

Saw a bit of the repeat McCain's funeral before I twaddled off to work last night. Appeared a very good service.

Stoneboat
Capt
Capt

#5 Post by Stoneboat » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:57 am

RIP Good Lady.
One of my favourite Aretha Franklin songs.