A place to discuss politics and things related to Govts
Rwy in Sight
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot
Re: The Duke and Duchess of Sussex

#541 Post by Rwy in Sight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:05 am

llondel wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:23 pm
It does sort of put it into context that the Royal Family are under way more surveillance than anyone locked up in jail. At least if/when you're released from jail you're relatively free, but it seems that being a senior royal is definitely a life sentence.
I am not sure if you agree with you. During the last few weeks they do more or less what they can to draw attention to themselves and increase their income. They could have worked out the full agreement with the HMQ (I hope Ex-A will consider the term as correctly used) and start a new life by saying please don't offer any coverage we are no special any more.

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#542 Post by sidevalve » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:18 am

More on the protection angle. From R4 this morning, it was stated that the UK taxpayer will now pick up the tab for Harry & Meghan's protection (following the announcement that Canada will no longer pay for it).
This is another of those automatic assumptions that I think should be questioned - if he's no longer carrying out the duties expected of a member of the Royal Family.
I don't think the couple thought this through when they decided to cut loose.

Pontius Navigator
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#543 Post by Pontius Navigator » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:16 am

There are so many children, grandchildren and great grandchildren, they all do not have this protection. What makes No 6 so different.

OTOH we had a visit from Kent or Gloucester, can't remember which. He was coming into the War Ops Centre, a bombproof bunker with single guarded entry by authorised personnel. It has a suspended floor. He was not due to enter my department but we had a security team searching the building. Floor panels were lifted and the explosives dog sent its handler down.

I kid you not, the dog refused to go under the floor.

If that level of security is required for a minor royal, I can see the problem.

G-CPTN
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#544 Post by G-CPTN » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:23 am

It becomes a problem when some organisation targets the minor royal (such as Mountbatten)

probes
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#545 Post by probes » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:36 am

Well, but it would make sense to really live a quiet life, then? Not advertise the 'independence' and demand being 'left alone' with an army of guards.

Sabo
First Solo
First Solo

#546 Post by Sabo » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:23 am

sidevalve wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:18 am
More on the protection angle. From R4 this morning, it was stated that the UK taxpayer will now pick up the tab for Harry & Meghan's protection (following the announcement that Canada will no longer pay for it).
This is another of those automatic assumptions that I think should be questioned - if he's no longer carrying out the duties expected of a member of the Royal Family.
I don't think the couple thought this through when they decided to cut loose.

Oh I think Harry knows full well he will be financialy supported forever and one way or another the money trail will lead back to the UK taxpayer.
As far as my view goes he should get f@~*k all, in fact he should be paying back a few million

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#547 Post by sidevalve » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:43 am

Melanie Phillips take on the NutMeg saga..

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#548 Post by Ex-Ascot » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Regarding their protection. Security fences, CCTV, guard dogs etc. Surely it would be easier and cheaper to guard a two up two down on a council estate. Makes sense to downsize. He can wear his scruff kit to go to the take away whilst she scrubs the doorstep. Kathy Staff (Nora Batty) was a better know actress than Markle and she scrubbed doorsteps.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Ibbie
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#549 Post by Ibbie » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:51 pm

Kathy Staff (Nora Batty) was a better know actress
....and she was married to a man of Wales as well.

FD2
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#550 Post by FD2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:32 pm

I wonder what the cost of the whole First Class railway carriage was to transport him and his guards down to London from Edinburgh. Just a drop in the Megxit Ocean really, but at least he didn't have to be polite to any members of the public.

At least Kathy Staff didn't go fannying around with a silly grin or smirk on her face all the time! MeGain's royal pretend act drives me mad every time I see it and the TV is in dire danger when she's on the news.

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#551 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:19 am

With this beer virus, countries are clamping down on travel. Now wouldn't it be funny if Canada closes it's boundaries to anyone from the UK. Will HMQ put them up at Buck House on a B&B arrangement? Don't think so. Look out for cardboard boxes in Marble Arch underground station with Sussex Royal emblems on them.
'Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.' Sir Winston Churchill.

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#552 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:51 am

Interesting point you have brushed on there, ex-A - do they
a) Have Dip immunity?
b) Will they keep it?

sidevalve
ATPL
ATPL

#553 Post by sidevalve » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:17 am

How long will it be before the Queen calls him in for a quiet word or three?

Alisoncc
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#554 Post by Alisoncc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:38 pm

sidevalve wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:17 am
And if he refuses to attend? Will she send the household cavalry? Hauling him off to the Tower. Bit of drama will raise every ones profile.
Rev Mother Bene Gesserit.

Sent from my PDP11/05 running RSX-11D via an ASR33 (TTY)

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#555 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:24 pm

sidevalve wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:17 am
I think that words will be exchanged. Maybe not with HMQ but certainly with HRH PC. She may get a severe spanking from HRH. They may both enjoy it. :YMPARTY:

Boac
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#556 Post by Boac » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:29 pm

a) Have Dip immunity?
b) Will they keep it?

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#557 Post by Ex-Ascot » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:18 am

Boac wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:29 pm
a) Have Dip immunity?
b) Will they keep it?
They will have and will probably keep it as they retain HRH. However in the case of a health scare I do not know if it will help.

Prince Harry hires a whole 1st class carriage and The Princess Royal goes on the tube yesterday with her pensioner's pass. :-bd Are we trying to make a point? Bet her PPOs were not happy.

barkingmad
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

#558 Post by barkingmad » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:40 am

If the PC brigade would permit the ‘Royals’ to travel on the Tube in fancy dress, maybe made up to look like Nutmeg&Ginge, it would be more anonymous and safer than blacked-out RangeRovers with outriders and blue flashing lights travelling at illegal speeds in a built-up area?

Da’esh resources would be impossibly stretched if they had to cover the Underground network in the vain hope of running into the precious people and carrying out the commandments of “Mo”?!

Smeagol
Capt
Capt

#559 Post by Smeagol » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:32 pm

According to the Daily Wail, Princess Anne DID travel on the tube recently, as a regular passenger without any fuss at all. I am sure there were a couple of well armed gents quite close but it does show that it is possible.
We hates Bagginses!

Ex-Ascot
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

#560 Post by Ex-Ascot » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:03 pm

Leaving Archie behind for visit to UK. This is a designer baby and trying to secure her position as mother of a baby with Royal blood come the divorce. It is said that HMQ is disappointed that she will not see her great grandchild. I believe that this is a deliberate move to yet again snub HMQ. And, also we believe going to cost an enormous amount to split security between Canada and the UK.

Is breast milk going to be flown by exec jet every day to Canada, whilst she is away, or will there be a pipeline? Even Slather would be impressed by the size of boobs to supply that.